1.025/33 ppt Date of Refract. Calb: 07/03/08
8.4 PH
*13 dKH
Ammonia 0 ppt
Nitrite 0 ppt
Nitrate 0 ppt
Calcium 440 ppm
**Magnesium 1500 ppm

* This was an API test kit that I used. For the past three weeks it has tested 13dKH everytime and I am suspecting that the test kit might be faulty.

**This was a Salifert test kit that I used. Used this twice and am wondering if I am doing it wrong. I am following the directions and the only thing I can think of is the air between the reagent-3 and the piston of the syringe. They say that it is normal though....

Anyways, does anyone offer any ideas on my Alk. and Mag.? Thanks.

Only thing is Kalk for top-off (Mrs. Wage Pickling Lime) & Tropic Marin for salt.

Well then, according to my numbers, you may be mixing a little rich.

What is your specific gravity and how do you measure. ?

That may be your problem. We've had countless thread on this but I'll sum it up for you in a nutshell.

A lot of refractometers cannot be calibrated with ro/di (regardless of what the manufacturers state).

Some, however can.

To be sure, pick yourself up some Pinpoint 53mS Calibration Fluid and your refract should measure exactlly 35 ppt or 1.0264 with this solution. It is a mock seawater solution and very accurate.

RO/DI or distilled cannot be trusted in all cases with todays refractometers.

Mine is actually off .003 when calibrating with ro/di. Some have reported even more. :)

Outstanding, do you know where I can pick some of this up at? Is there a possibility the RO/DI has a higher alk level than normal? Thanks for the help so far!

Well, no but if your refract is reading low and you are actually at, say 1.028, all your numbers will be higher which would explain all of your numbers.

A number of places sell the Pinpoint. I think I got my last batch from the Filter Guys. They are a sponsor here. The stuff is really cheap and good insurance IMO. :)

Okay, just ordered some from Marine Depot. I will PM you with my new cal. numbers when I get the fluid in.

Back