Testing with a skimmer less reef tank

isseym328

Premium Member
Howdy,

Just to provide some context on why I started doing this. Earlier in the year I replaced my T5s with new bulbs, and replaced a couple actinics with blue+ for growth. After a week or so I noticed some of my sps not doing well and realized that the lights were probably too strong and I have to raise it a bit. However it did not truly help and I started testing my ALK and nitrates a bit more, and found out that while my ALK is at ~8.5 my nitrates were at 0 consistently. My protein skimmer on the current 150 was brought for a 270 I had a while back that was rated for 400+ gallons. My assumption at this time is that while I wanted to get stronger lights for growth my ALK level was slightly high and nitrates were way too low. My skimmer was skimming out all the nutrients required for my sps to grow with the high light output and ALK level. I lost some sps due to the strong lighting, ALK level, and 0 nitrate as sometimes you don't see the negative results until a month or two after. I've had the skimmer off for a week now and have not see anything too detrimental most SPS are doing fine but a couple bleached a bit. Still pondering if this is the way to go or if I should just put the skimmer on for a couple times a week. Oxygenation levels are also a concern although I've been compensating by pointing flow towards the water surface for more exchange.

Anyone tried this before? Thoughts?

I have, but never with sps. I had great results with LPS / softy dominated tank thought. I don't think it was needed at all.

I say leave it off and track your nitrates and phosphates. Or get a more appropriately sized skimmer.

If you have enough herbivores, and are not over stocked, I don't think a skimmer is necessary at all.

Tested today and nitrate was around 10 and phosphate closer to 0 per the cheap API tests. It's day 8 so too early to gauge whether both LPS and SPS will do well with no skimmer, but have not seen anything detrimental so far except for a bit more algae (acceptable). A bit concerned that all of a sudden shutting down skimmer is going to cause sps to die off due to stability. Crossing my fingers!

Tested today and nitrate was around 10 and phosphate closer to 0 per the cheap API tests. It's day 8 so too early to gauge whether both LPS and SPS will do well with no skimmer, but have not seen anything detrimental so far except for a bit more algae (acceptable). A bit concerned that all of a sudden shutting down skimmer is going to cause sps to die off due to stability. Crossing my fingers!

I have gone skimmerless for over a month when my skimmer died and I was having a custom lifereef built and had no apparent change. I think you are good.

What's a good skimmer out there these days? Was using an ATB skimmer but probably pick up a smaller skimmer eventually for a hybrid schedule half on half off during the week. I guess I can also just raise the current skimmer but taking up a lot of space in my sump. :D

What's a good skimmer out there these days? Was using an ATB skimmer but probably pick up a smaller skimmer eventually for a hybrid schedule half on half off during the week. I guess I can also just raise the current skimmer but taking up a lot of space in my sump. :D

If you don't care about name brands (bubble king), my bubble magnus ELITE (sicce) was one of the best skimmers I have ever used.

The Reef Octopus skimmers with the Varios pumps are a good bang for the buck. Good quality and the pump is quiet.

Saw both brands at similar price points for my 150g. Thanks guys those are good options and economical!

Back