Thank you, 8Ball and Shannon!!!

Tomoko Schum

Thank you, 8ball and Shannon, for hosting our meeting. It was really nice of you to open up your house and let us take a look at your tanks.

It was a great meeting. It was fun seeing the old faces and some new faces. I had a ball talking with you all. I hope everyone found 8Ball's presentation very helpful. I am sure the battery and inverter set up will come in very handy during the hurricane season which is almost upon us. I am going to get an inverter so that I can rig up Reilly's boat batteries (he got three all charged and ready to go anytime) to my pumps during the next power outage ;)

Tomoko

PS. 8Ball - Please tell your father that his BBQ beef brisket was a bit hit.

Mary Ruth and I echo the previous comments. We enjoyed seeing some of the regulars and a few who we haven't seen in a while. Will and Shannon, the hospitality and the food was great. Thanx for having us.

Yes it was a great meeting. I am going out and getting a inverter this week. I have some boat batteries so I am good to go. Thanks Will for the great presentation, very thorough.

Also thanks for the frags Tomoko, very much appreciated.

Curtis

Thanks to both of you for having us and to everyone that brought food. It was all great. It was also good to meet all of the new faces and see some people I haven't seen in a while. Hopefully it won't be another year before I can make another meeting.

Yea when I first saw her I thought "WOW she is in our reef club?!?!?! I can never bring my wife again or she would never let me come anymore lol.

The girl is actually greenbean in drag :D

Great meat and meeting Will & Shannon. It was so good to be able to make it to a meeting after having to miss the last two. It was good to meet a couple of new faces too, and especially to finally get to meet Nicole in person.
Mariner

NP, Glad so many could make it! We had fun, and I have to say since so many brought so much I really didn't have to do much lol Thanks!

FWIW I plan on looking up a part list for a ups like mine.. I'll post a thread for it.. Maybe even some basic instructions if anyone is interested in building one.

Will

Just a heads up on some of the parts.. I had a quick look around..
Radio shack doesn't sell the exact same inveter I have anymore, but they have one a little smaller for about the same price anyway.

Relay http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/4PRLY-120N/500/4PDT_120VAC_"#34;ICE-CUBE"#34;_RELAY_.html $3.00
Relay Socket $5.50 You dont Have to have this, But it makes it Alot easier to make all the conections..
200Watt Inverter $29.99 Again this isn't the Inverter on mine. Mine is a RadioShack brand 350watt. They don't seem to sell anymore or atleast not online.
Battery Tender/charger $29.99 This is the same brand style as mine, But is not the same charger.. Mine is a 2 amp charger that they dont seem to make anymore.. Here is another one. Its different' then mine but it is a 2 amp charger.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/BC-80/965/2_AMP_"#34;SMART"#34;_BATTERY_CHARGER___MAINTAINER_.html $27.95 Really any "smart" charger tender will work.. The main thing is to get one that monitors the charge of the battery and just doesn't trickle charge non stop..
Plastic Battery box $12.99
Project box to house Relay $3.30 I think this is about the size of the one I used.. Not sure though.. Radio shack also sells them for about the same price.

Thats about 85 bucks not counting the Marine battery. They range from 60 all the way up to a couple hundred.. Mine was a pretty large one that cost me about 85+tax with no core at autozone. Walmart also sells deep cycle batterys pretty cheap.. I also used about another 10 bucks worth of odd and ends.. This was stuff I had in the shop, IE a toggle switch couple of 110 neon lights, a couple male ends of a drop cord and one female end, Few bits of wire.. Total cost for me was a little over 200.. If I remember right it was right at 215.00. I think my charger was 39.00 insted of the 29.00 one listed above.. I need to look if I took any pictures of mine when I built it. If so I'll post them.

Will

Sorry I missed it, my wife decided last minute we would visit our daughter in Ft Walton. It was to be my first and I was really looking forward to it.

Thanks Will and Shannon! Great meeting as usual!

Thanks Will for posting the battery backup links. I have already ordered most everything. :D

Back