Thanks Dave!

Thank you Joe for your kind words, and for allowing me to share my ideas and projects with the club.

Thanks to everyone else who posted here for your kind words, too.

I could not have done the GeoThermal Loop without Octavio, who not only did most of the construction, but often stayed late so we could just chat about why we all love this hobby of ours.

I am looking forward to NERAC, and hopefully I will learn alot from the lectures and workshops. I hope to finally learn to use my camera in Anthony Calfo's workshop!

See you all next month!

--Dave--

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9275515#post9275515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat
:) Dave's the best. He set me up today with all the Aiptasia I can hold for my little project. We all owe him (ringer :) ).

If you need more, I have some available as well.

Wow - It took me a while looking at that diagram to figure out what you had there... is that a water flows down the inner 1in pipe and then back up the 2in? And then over to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th legs? And you have that buried somewhere?

Was there a reason for that over a "simple" U for each leg? A down and back up?

Thats pretty genius, all you need is 4 holes no big trench. I'm tempted to start busting up concrete on my basement floor.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9296499#post9296499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dougwilliams
Wow - It took me a while looking at that diagram to figure out what you had there... is that a water flows down the inner 1in pipe and then back up the 2in? And then over to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th legs? And you have that buried somewhere?

Was there a reason for that over a "simple" U for each leg? A down and back up?

Yes, buried under the deck outside my house. The flow is down a 1" up the 2" across to the next 2" and up the 1" and so forth.

A "U" would have meant trenching vs. driving the posts down straight.

--Dave--

Do you have this in line with your main pump or on it's own loop with a dedicated pump? and what do you do with it in the winter? do you stop using it, and if so do you blow out the water?

I see what you're saying - I was thinking a down pipe and the up would be virtually touching the whole way up - literally the bottom of the U would be an inch or so and then a big foot wide jump to the second position. Sort of two pipes but you'd still only need 4 post-holes if that makes sense without drawing.
My only thought was that the upflow essentially insulates the down flow.
However, then you'd probably be inclined to use 1in all the way, and that 2 in pipe has considerable more surface area in contact with the PVC (1in circumference vs 2in). And using 2in you'd need to dig a 4 in post hole.
Either way - cool design - just throwing out some thoughts.

I just jackhammered my basement floor to sink new drains (one for new tank). Shoudlve seen this before - but upstate here I dont think I'll have a cooling issue on my lower floor. In fact, I was thinking of running a heat exchanger loop off my gas furnace and putting that into sump instead of electric. I was going to use that radiant floor heating tube, which I think is PEX or CPVC - but thinking of yours - did you do PVC on that outer shell? Or is that some sort of metallic? Metallic is a much better thermal conductor- but - probably not a good idea in tank water contact, unless you can afford titanium tubing ;)

Back