the best calcium reactor for sps.

urb77

Hello friends, would you please recommend me what do you think is the best Calcium Reactor?

Hello friends, would you please recommend me what do you think the best Calcium Reactor?

Back when I had a sump room and more disposable income- meaning noise and money weren't an issue- I owned and absolutely loved my MTC Pro Cal. They even made me a custom reactor chamber that was taller than the standard. Loved that machine. Pump is a bit noisy..
I use a Deltec PF 601s now and love it as well. Very quiet But it has no second chamber for degassing co2.. I went out and bought a second chamber and just run the effluent through it.. does the job.
Those are my choices.. there are many more quality manufacturers out there, that's for sure.

Whatever reactor uses a good condition brushless masterflex pump and dual stage co2 regulator with quality needle valve. Those are the important and expensive components that can make or break your reactor performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just want ehiem pump and reverse flow in a reactor. I can feed mine with a perilistic pump, majijet or a T of of the return with the same performance. I do have good needle valves and/or carbon doser boxes.

There are not tricks to what they are doing, just need them to be reliable. Reverse flow can be a big deal, though, so that the media does not get all compacted as it melts and gets smaller.

Geo is solid, I use a maxi jet feed pump. Carbon doser regulator is pretty easy to use and I no longer measure pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a lot of responses on this post, you will find the most people using and enjoying Geo reactors and carbon doser regulators, so that's probably a good option.

Personally I like MTC reactors and 2 stage custom regulators, so there's another.

I'm using for the past 5 years an Octopus SRO 5000 dual chamber.
Water Blaster pump running well since the beggining, CO2 recirculating system, upflow, solid construction....
This is one of the best equipment that I ever had.

I'm using for the past 5 years an Octopus SRO 5000 dual chamber.
Water Blaster pump running well since the beggining, CO2 recirculating system, upflow, solid construction....
This is one of the best equipment that I ever had.

+1!!! This thing is beautiful and has a screw on lid which is awesome and makes life so freaking easy. The bubble blaster pushes the water through the reactor very well too! Finally a company that doesn't skimp on reactor recirculation pumps!!!

But ANY reactor setup the right way will work just fine as long as it's sized accordingly. That means the reactor is leak free and sturdy, co2 check valves are medical grade or whatnot while a carbon doser regulator is being used, a masterflex pari pump, the recirc. pump is sized right and pushes the co2 bubbles through it without big bubbles leaving the pump, plus it needs to be strong enough to push trapped co2 through the average small media without any staying trapped.

When it comes to reactor models, it's all about how you want it setup, what's easiest for you, and what size needs to be used. Especially when your putting one under a tank in a cabinet. You should make sure the pump is detachable and all unions are easily accessible. The worst thing is fooling with calcium reactors and kalk stirrers that aren't easy to get to when you set it up. Also making sure a drain valve is at the bottom of the reactor makes life so much easier, at least with any of the larger sized ones.

Back when I had a sump room and more disposable income- meaning noise and money weren't an issue- I owned and absolutely loved my MTC Pro Cal. They even made me a custom reactor chamber that was taller than the standard. Loved that machine. Pump is a bit noisy..
I use a Deltec PF 601s now and love it as well. Very quiet But it has no second chamber for degassing co2.. I went out and bought a second chamber and just run the effluent through it.. does the job.
Those are my choices.. there are many more quality manufacturers out there, that's for sure.
I used the MTC Pro Cal for many years and it served me very well.

Reef octopus dual stage. Don't skimp on the regulator. I control co2 via apex ph probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, i have same reactor, Deltec PF601, can you please give mae some details about your setup? how you connect to the system, what kind of pump you use?
Thanks

I know this is an older thread when it originally was started. Perhaps by now you have made a decision so take this for what it’s worth at this time. I recently purchased a full blown calcium reactor package. I used a reactor roughly 13-15 years ago and swore I would never purchase one again! Waay to finicky to adjust with needle valves, feeder pumps etc. Today I have a larger system with all sps. The calcium and alkalinity demands were becoming cost prohibitive. I was purchasing 4 gallon 2 part monthly and although I have the time to manually dose (I have had issues with dosing pumps as well) I finally got tired of dosing and needed to move to a reactor to keep up with demands. I did a lot of reading and had decided on a Dastaco. Problem was I couldn’t get one for months for they were back ordered. Gave me an uneasy feeling if a problem arose how long until parts would be available. I had dealt with overseas manufacturers before and it wasn’t always good. Personally I chose a Geo reactor with a second stage, a carbon doser regulator and a Masterflex pump. Expensive...yes...however I need a unit I can trust to run consistently if I’m out of town etc without worry of inconsistency of breakdown. I consulted a group of reefers and not one had a complaint of the combo. So far I have been pleased with the units and quality AND if something goes wrong everything is here in the states. Gives me more peace of mind.

Dastaco is the easiest for settings. Just one button for more ore less KH. I have my second now

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back