The BobbyV Build - 150 Rimless Starphire with Shadow Overflow 60x24x24

looking fwd to the next update :)

looks awesome

Well latest development has been my Neptune AFS Auto Feeder doesn't fully rotate so I am sending it back to get fixed or replaced.

The fish are doing well. Just the two tangs. Going slow to make sure before adding anymore to make sure the bacteria has enough time to populate.

Got some nice clean chaeto from Algae Barn to start the refugium.

Ordered a small personal freezer on Amazon to put in the garage. To keep the fish food seperate from people food.

Other than that no further developments really. Lights are still off. Really going with the advice of getting the tank up and running with fish for 4 to 6 months before turning on the lights and starting coral. To really allow the tank to settle in with bacteria.

I am in no rush really, playing it safe. I hope you are doing well.

So I went to the LFS to buy some more frozen foods and of course picked up a few more fish.

I am going to acclimate them slowly in the frag tank before putting them in the Main Display so they are easier to feed.

Make sure to always acclimate your new fish with your own tank water and salanity values.

For a reef tank you should be around 35 points. This was me measuring with half of the original water dripped into the bucket from my water column. That LFS water salinity could have easily been 27 points to start with.

Unbelievable the corners that are cut to save a penny. Think of all the people that are ignorant and think you just float the fish bags in the water to match temperature like you do a gold fish!

If I were the LFS owner, I would do a better job. Make is 33 points for a happy medium to help the ignorant people.

NICE!
Any concerns with Bio-Security? not to say that you are doing anything wrong -but it has been awhile since I introduced a new specimen or even entertained adding to my setup. curious to your opinion on what the stock looks like these days..

NICE!
Any concerns with Bio-Security? not to say that you are doing anything wrong -but it has been awhile since I introduced a new specimen or even entertained adding to my setup. curious to your opinion on what the stock looks like these days..

Well I am learning really quick what surrounding LFS's are making an effort as soon as I walk in. Also by asking the staff a few questions.

I examine the fish pretty well before purchase and ask several questions. I make sure they are eating. I know I am taking a risk, but the two fish I just purchased I enjoy looking at.

Honestly after I go through my routine, I am actually more concerned about getting aptasia or Acro Eating Flat Worms into this system or some other type of other coral /rock hiding related pest that will be impossible to get out.

Of course I never want to kill a fish but in comparison, fish in general are way easier to replace than a coral/rock related pest. At least fish have some type of immune system and are easier to treat.

Fish may have some under lying contagions, but if they are swimming well, great looking, eating and been alive for at least a month I am willing to take a calculated risk.

I am not tremendously worried. If I screw up with a bad fish then I will learn to live with it. Fingers crossed that I will make it through this new batch. Keeping them fed and they keep eating, looks to be a pretty good sign they are doing ok.

I also noticed the pricing is all over the board on common species of fish.

Apparently "Frankenstein" Clown Fish are still a thing and $100 plus easy per specie. Picked up a gold dot maroon for $20, not bad and happy with the price. Will enjoy for years to come. Went with a mimic tang over the traditional yellow Tang. I enjoy the color and shape of the fish better. Plus they are slightly cheaper which is a plus.

Last edited:
You could always use your frag tank a an observation tank. Put a cheap hang on the back filter, shut off the supply from the sump. Put some biomedia in there and you have instant isolation. Observe the fish for a time then if all is good put them in the main tank. If you see a problem then you can get a cheap Petco tank or used to treat with copper and praziquantel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always use your frag tank a an observation tank. Put a cheap hang on the back filter, shut off the supply from the sump. Put some biomedia in there and you have instant isolation. Observe the fish for a time then if all is good put them in the main tank. If you see a problem then you can get a cheap Petco tank or used to treat with copper and praziquantel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent idea. Thank you.

Back