The clam tank lives!!!

jeffb3t

Well, I got really bored tonight and as some of you know I am building a 25 long clam tank for my wife ;) Originally it had 2 39 watt t-5 HO on it but at 12 inches wide I thought maybe I can squeeze a couple more in. At 12 inches high it will now have 4 39 watt t-5 HO's in it. Didn't have much room to work with but I made all 4 of them fit by squeexzing the refectors slightly to make the added room needed. Just gotta wait until the other 2 bulbs I ordered come in. Hopefully friday. Tis tank should be blinding adn Dastank, You won't have to worry about your clams getting enough light... just make sure they have sunscreen. :D

Here is the new clam tank.

DCF_0005.jpg

And these are the lights for it.

DCF_0006.jpg
\

Just waiting on the last bulb to really make it bright in there. Hopefully I will have it in tomorrow if not, Sat.

Got the last bulb in there and boy is it bright!!! Can't wait to start adding clams! I did find one SPS that was growing on the LR and it now has extended it's polyps as well as changed to a greenish color. Can't wait to see it when it's a nice size frag!

I decided when I built the hood instead of painting the inside white I wanted to try something a little more reflective so I went with aluminum foil for the inside. It is quite messy with the glue but turned out ok. I don't know how much more light gets projected in the tank but I don't think I will do the foil thing again. Painting is much easier. Thought I would say this for all the DIY'ers that are thinking about using foil for the inside of a hood.

Looks Great!

Jeff, I see you have a hole for a fan, but no fan. I have a nice 4"er that will go perfect in there, that you can have. YOu just will need to come up with a power source for it.

The lights are coralvue retros that I picked up at custom aquatic.

Frank, I will take you up on that fan. It's hot in there so anything to cool it down.

Dastank has the first of the clams that will be in there. Hopefuly sometime this week they will be in there. I will post some pics when I get them.

Well the clams are in there as well as an SPS and one clam from my main tank. I was kinda worried since the temp hit 87 last night but they seem to be just fine and since tehy are all located in tidepools that go well into the 90's I suppose I should't be too worried about them. I will however watch them close and at the first sign of trouble, They will go into my main tank.

DCF_0012.jpg

DCF_0011.jpg

DCF_0008.jpg

I really like the green SPS. it's one of my favorites. There is a frag of it available to a certain person when they finally decide to start a tank. (Mr. TPS-Dive) Of course when his tank is ready.

I would like to thank Vest and Jas for the beautiful new clam additions to the clam tank. They opened up soon after I put them in and look great. I will have to post some more pics but will wait until I get a few more chunks of rock in there I also got the fan in there that vest gave me and it makes a big difference. Thanks for the cell phone charger tip for the power source. It worked great.

hahaha. good to hear that it worked out! Also, the one of the new clams that I got (on the door side of my tank) accually burried itself into the sand last night. he has a nice hole dug for himself. very odd.

Back