The Macroalgae Jarquarium

I searched the macro clump and found six polyps. I cut them off of the fronds and put them outside (it's -18C) to make aipstasia cubes (they're actually in an ice cube tray). I'll thaw them in a day or two to see if they can be revived after freezing.

Last edited:
I thawed the aiptasia cubes yesterday and am observing them for signs of life. I thought that they'd have dissolved into slime by now, but they're just listless. Several of them have detached from their alga...but two others have not. Ugh -- I can't believe that they'd survive a good freeze, but who knows...

Found another polyp on the alga, which is now pretty shredded as they were all (of course!) near the base. I'm counting on some regeneration.

I put jarquarium #3 in the office today and water kept pooling underneath the jar. I thought I'd have to break it down and do yet another re-seal when I realized that, because I'm using an airstone for flow, and have kept the lid on the jar (plumbing is through the spigot), the lid was sitting loosely on top of the jar...and collecting a lot of spray in the overhang. The condensation was then running down the spines of the octagonal jar and pooling under the jar. I flipped the lid around -- the knob is now underwater -- and it's now flush with the top. Watertight at last! Unfortunately, I've probably also doomed gas exchange levels. I'm going to have to get my DO levels checked once I get my meter calibrated...

Back