The Rebuild

firefish2020

Well, after many years of acquiring parts for my ultimate SPS system and tests on 3 separate high flow tanks with the same equipment, I am just about ready to start Phase one of the rebuild on our home tank. Basically a mixed high flow system with several easy to keep SPS. Im putting in a Leng Sy, Pink Polyp, and Blue Polyp Cap later this week. I will let those guys grow for about about year then tear down the tank and move it into a larger one if all goes well. The only thing that worries me is that the lighting is lower than the projected model for a tank this size. 2X150 DE rather than the 2X250 which I believe will result in far better color. Basically this is the control portion of the test. The flow should be quite conducive to growth of the caps. Lets see what happens :thumbsup:

Heres a small movie of the tanks flow at this point.
2X6100 Stream and a Wavebox.

http://www.ronedmedia.com/Ronswebstuff/waves.wmv

Before anyone starts thinking this is a plug for certain products and trying to cause problems with this post let me start by saying this. I use what I use because it works. I was shown the power of these systems by fellow reefers here and believe this is my best option if you use other options that is your choice. It takes time and money to create a life support system for a reef tank, I failed trying to save some dollars on it before and wont go that route again. I learned valuable lessons from those failures and the one thing I learned was that I did not have enough flow. I intend to correct that problem this time around.

Man I hope so Matt, I think my biggest failure a few years back was lack of flow. You should see some of the softies in this system now! Even the People Eaters have multiplied LOL. I think I'll enjoy the results :D

Hey Ron, is this on your 120? I was considering adding another tunze to the other side of mine, but didn't know if it would be a little much. I replaced my sump pump (which burned up during the last snow storm) replaced it, a viaaqua 3200, witha viaaqua 4900, and it is doing much better. Since I had to get into the sump to relace it, I went ahead and rebuilt my sump the way I wanted to. I took out half of the bio balls, put the new pump on that side of the wet/dry, added more water, put the screen up higher above the pump, put the bo balls there, put filter media on top of that, then the pan on top of that with filter media. The tank looks great and the filter media (fabric) will be easy to get to to clean and replace. Now the skimmer has the other side of the wet/dry to itself and is not crammed in there with the pump. I also cleaned up all of my cords and have them neatly placed in a container with a loose lid on top of that, all of this is in the cabinet, so I did this to protect it from the salt and any water that may get to it. I also have all of this going through a UPS, which I already had but didn't use for some reason (would have saved me $50 if I had used it before burning up my pump) Please give me any suggestions or corrections on what I have done so far.
Thanks

It's on my 120. I don't have any crazy return flow either so this should compensate for that IMO. It all looks great so far but I would recomend the multicontroller with your other stream this thing is amazing you wont need a wave box IMO :thumbsup:

I have the controller with my tunze, is that what you were talking about? I also wondered, would I be able to hook up another tunze to the same controller?

Looks like you have put a lot of thought into it! Looks Great!
I would like to see a full tank view. With all that current the light probably shimmers through out the entire tank. I love to see different types of live rock and how people arrange their rock. Have you put the stoneys in yet?

120 AGA
2X150 DE 2X96watt actinic
2XMag 5 returns
2X TUNZE Stream 6100
Multicontroller 7095
(Set on interval 2- controls the 6100s on either side of the tank sequentially alternating power between 30% to 100% then 40% to 80% on the other. This emulates waves coming in and receding.)
TUNZE Wavebox
Reef Keeper 1 (old model)
Reeftek Kalk reactor
Kent Phos-Reactor
Stanley Blower on reef keeper for temp control
300 wt heater
Model 4 sump
CL model 125 skimmer
UV sterilizer (18wt)

I think that's the list it's all I can remember now LOL.

I added the caps tonight now we see what happens :)

Multicontroller 7095
(Set on interval 2- controls the 6100s on either side of the tank sequentially alternating power between 30% to 100% then 40% to 80% on the other. This emulates waves coming in and receding.)

It also is suppose to help keep them impellers from seizing as much because they never completely stop running when using interval 2.

BTW, sounds like the rebuild will be better, stronger, faster>>>

Oooops forgot the TUNZE Osmolator without it, in time the skimmer would be crap IMO.

yes coralife.

LOL Better faster sronger thats good

yes it will run two streams with the branch adapter. It will not run them individually though. They will both pulse at the same time.

The multicontroller allows you to control each pump individually.

Yep it's pretty cool, you do not need a wave box in a 4 foot tank with two streams and a 7095 IMO. But since I had one lying around I figured why not :D

I found it on here about 2 years ago and got lucky enough to get my Paypal in before anyone else did :D I was going to add it to our next big reef but I decided why not try the 120.

Ok I put my first SPS into the system a few days ago and everything looks good so far. Also threw in a rock of eclipse zoas and PPEs which are looking great.

Back