The reef is going on vacation and getting a new home

Well here's an update.
I got my "fake" sand in, with flow in this tank I can see a sand bed being an issue. I plan on trying for a thin bed and some dsb bowl areas but wanted something so if sand gets blown around and there are bare spots or I find I just can't have it at all it will still look sandy. So I mixed West system 206 with sand to install a permanent solid sand bed. Hopefully I will have good results with this. KIMG0997.jpg
22bca5efe53e4caa95e9fe49a46bdbf0.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Following. This thread needs more attention. I've not seen anyone pull off such a unique diy build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Following along. That new sump looks much better than the mess you had before lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well, it's been a while since I've done an update.
Works been busy and once all the big things are done in a build the end turns into all the small details (at least that's the way it happens for me).
There's a little cleaning up left but the tanks 99% there. I fit the top brace and lids with the equipment. I plan a heater and apex temp probe in the tank. The bulkheads are all plugged up so I can do a leak test tomorrow.
Wish me luck!KIMG1038.jpgKIMG1037.jpgKIMG1036.jpgKIMG1034.jpg

Filled it today (as much as I'm going to manage filling it for testing at least) so far it holds water. :)

Now the fun will really start ;)KIMG1040.jpg

Thanks to all you guys following along :)
My goal was building a cool system and to document the proof that I built it for better or worse. In the past I've done builds and while I don't need everyone to know that I built them it's nice to have proof when your accused of lying ;) . I had no goal of having people follow this but I've gotta admit I find it awesome that there's even one other person out there that thinks what I'm doing is cool and has some appreciation of the effort I put in.

Thanks to all those who have been chatting with me to smooth out my ideas and fill in the gaps in my experience. You guys know who you are and this project wouldn't be half of what it's turning into with out you.

The next step will be building the lighting system. This part is 100% NOT my design. Two of my reef bros out there were kind enough to completely tell me how they would light this tank as far as the spectrum and exact sin waves I should find and include in each diode and what quanity of each. So I will basically just be making their ideas work from an electric standpoint. Thanks guys!!

Thanks to all you guys following along :)
My goal was building a cool system and to document the proof that I built it for better or worse. In the past I've done builds and while I don't need everyone to know that I built them it's nice to have proof when your accused of lying ;) . I had no goal of having people follow this but I've gotta admit I find it awesome that there's even one other person out there that thinks what I'm doing is cool and has some appreciation of the effort I put in.

Thanks to all those who have been chatting with me to smooth out my ideas and fill in the gaps in my experience. You guys know who you are and this project wouldn't be half of what it's turning into with out you.

The next step will be building the lighting system. This part is 100% NOT my design. Two of my reef bros out there were kind enough to completely tell me how they would light this tank as far as the spectrum and exact sin waves I should find and include in each diode and what quanity of each. So I will basically just be making their ideas work from an electric standpoint. Thanks guys!!

I am thrilled to live vicariously through you in that lighting project

Lol watch out, when my tank looks awesome you'll be flooded with pms for design ideas [emoji1787].
I am thrilled to live vicariously through you in that lighting project

Well....
Update time!
Here's the light build so far. I made this giant aluminum heatsync.
Had tons of help on this one; from the light selection, lay out, improving my soldering skills, double checking all my math and the rational of the electric lay out!
Thanks so much guys!
Now I just have to roll up my sleeves and wire everything in and build the enclosure for this mess. One decision I made up front that I'm very glad of was to wire everything through the back.

**One note--I attempted to use some two part epoxy made for metal to metal adheasion this did not work under any stress at all.KIMG1129.jpgKIMG1128.jpgIMG531392299.jpg

You're not messing around! I like it.
I'm hoping to accomplish an acro and euphyllia heavy set up in their relative areas (hence the drop off). instead of buying a setup and trying to make it work for the stock this is my attempt to build with the specific stock needs in mind. Hopefully with all the help I've received from guys who auctually keep the species I've done a halfway decent job considering the different species needs.

You have some amazing vision for this. I like how original it is. I just started here, but Ill be keeping my eye on this one! Nice job!!

The tank caught my interest but that light captured my attention (May or may not have stolen a DiCaprio line lol)

Following along for epic updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wired everything in tonight. Set up everything with the blue fish mini. except the night lights, right now those are only always on anyone have a recommendation for manual dimming I'm open to suggestions?
Pics are blue fish, only night lights, white, white and blue, and cyan. KIMG1152.jpgKIMG1151.jpgKIMG1154.jpgKIMG1155.jpgKIMG1157.jpg

Here's lime, amber, and all on. All pics were taken at 1% due to much stronger giving way too much glare for a pic. Sry the all look blue, the string of six blue is bright compaired to the rest at 1%.
Out of 198 LEDs I did have one amber arrive not working so I have the space ready and waiting for the replacement.KIMG1158.jpgKIMG1159.jpgKIMG1160.jpgIMG1771004805.jpg

Well here's the basic frame I made for the light housing. I plan on connecting the Plexi glass and adding a plastic vineering so it's light weight and durable.

I also ordered a potentiometer to pwm out made for small DC motors to try on the blue night lights.IMG1357502064.jpg

Back