The T5 Q&a Thread - split

I've got an 8-bulb retrofit over a 140 gallon, and i've got 4 blue +, 2 purple +, 1 GE 6500K, and 1 Coral + in currently. I'm a bit worried about the growth potential of this combination in a SPS reef. Should I swap out one of the Purple + or the Coral +?

Well I took Grim's advice about a year ago on what bulbs to use over my 95g and the color and growth were unbeatable.

Now I'm converting my 300g into a reef and I'm wondering if I should go with 2 6x54 fixtures or 2 8x54 fixtures. Tank is 96" wide and 30" tall. I have a 8x54 nova extreme on the 95 right now and was debating on just picking up another one for the 300. Some people are telling me that since my nova is a single reflector, that I could use a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors and it would be the same.

I dont mind the idea of retrofit either.......

Any advice is appreciated.

Get 2 6x54 sunpowers. I'd do 8 Blue Plus, 2 Purple Plus and 2 GE 6500K's.

I've got an 8-bulb retrofit over a 140 gallon, and i've got 4 blue +, 2 purple +, 1 GE 6500K, and 1 Coral + in currently. I'm a bit worried about the growth potential of this combination in a SPS reef. Should I swap out one of the Purple + or the Coral +?

No, you should be fine with what you have.

Grim I've been searching the thread and cannot find the answer to what I'm looking for. I have a 30x30x22 tank that will have a 8x24 sunpower over it. Tank will be mostly sps with a few LPS here and there.

I want a 20k look that isn't too washed out if possible. But I don't want to sacrifice sps growth much. Could you give me a bulb combo front to back that is on the bluer side?

If that's not possible with a 20k look what would you reccomend? I also have 2 24" blue reefbrites to use if I need them to "up" the blue effect.

Once again, thanks for keeping this thread going after all this time. I come here very often.

Grim I've been searching the thread and cannot find the answer to what I'm looking for. I have a 30x30x22 tank that will have a 8x24 sunpower over it. Tank will be mostly sps with a few LPS here and there.

I want a 20k look that isn't too washed out if possible. But I don't want to sacrifice sps growth much. Could you give me a bulb combo front to back that is on the bluer side?

If that's not possible with a 20k look what would you reccomend? I also have 2 24" blue reefbrites to use if I need them to "up" the blue effect.

Once again, thanks for keeping this thread going after all this time. I come here very often.

blue plus
purple plus
blue plus
coral plus
blue plus
purple plus
blue plus
blue plus

Is there a significant difference between the ATI fixture and a Tek or other cheaper brand? Is the ATI worth the extra money? Not trying to be cheap, just kinda curious.

I have a 4x T-5 bulbs I want to replace.

I'm looking for a bluer color and good coral growth (LPS, Softies, zoa, RBTA)

So which one would work best......

Option 1:

Front
-Blue Plus
-Coral Plus .... OR.... Purple Plus
-Blue Plus
-Blue Plus
End

Option 2:

Front
-Blue Plus
-Aquablue Plus
-Purple Plus
-Blue Plus
End

I have a 4x T-5 bulbs I want to replace.

I'm looking for a bluer color and good coral growth (LPS, Softies, zoa, RBTA)

So which one would work best......

Option 1:

Front
-Blue Plus
-Coral Plus .... OR.... Purple Plus
-Blue Plus
-Blue Plus
End

Option 2:

Front
-Blue Plus
-Aquablue Plus
-Purple Plus
-Blue Plus
End

option 1. You have to decide between the coral or purple lamp.

Question- is it possible that with age a ballast/fixture will cause light intensity to be reduced? None of my bulbs are more than 3 months old and yet I have 2 tanks, side by side with the exact same light fixtures (one is about 4 years old, the other about a year old.) and the older fixture has much less intense light. Again, same fixtures, same bulbs, same combo order. Have you heard of this being the issue before? Just checking before I go drop dollars on a new fixture

Question- is it possible that with age a ballast/fixture will cause light intensity to be reduced? None of my bulbs are more than 3 months old and yet I have 2 tanks, side by side with the exact same light fixtures (one is about 4 years old, the other about a year old.) and the older fixture has much less intense light. Again, same fixtures, same bulbs, same combo order. Have you heard of this being the issue before? Just checking before I go drop dollars on a new fixture

Could ne if they are crapy fixtures. Good ones not so much but a little.

Grim,
I'm in the process of putting together hardware for a JBJ 30g rimless. Deminsions are 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5". I'm considering hanging the TEK 4 bulb fixture over it, but am concerned this may not be enough light to support a SPS dominant tank. Thoughts?

Grim,
I'm in the process of putting together hardware for a JBJ 30g rimless. Deminsions are 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5". I'm considering hanging the TEK 4 bulb fixture over it, but am concerned this may not be enough light to support a SPS dominant tank. Thoughts?

Should be OK but I'd probably go with an ATI fixture.

Hey Grim, I have an ATI SP 6x80 that is still in the box. I have not figured a good way to hang over tank yet. I have a 125 gal tank 72x18x22 that I am just setting up. I have read many posts on various lighting combination and I know that it is very subjective. I am hopeing you could give me some advice. I would like a more white look with this fixture but still be able to have enough par to put most any coral in the tank. Most posts I have read prefer a more blueish look. What combo would you suggest that might give me a starting point. I really do not have enough money left over from starting this tank to be buying a bunch of different bulbs at the moment. Thanks a bunch in advance and keep giving the good advice.

Hey Grim, I have an ATI SP 6x80 that is still in the box. I have not figured a good way to hang over tank yet. I have a 125 gal tank 72x18x22 that I am just setting up. I have read many posts on various lighting combination and I know that it is very subjective. I am hopeing you could give me some advice. I would like a more white look with this fixture but still be able to have enough par to put most any coral in the tank. Most posts I have read prefer a more blueish look. What combo would you suggest that might give me a starting point. I really do not have enough money left over from starting this tank to be buying a bunch of different bulbs at the moment. Thanks a bunch in advance and keep giving the good advice.

4 ATI Blue Plus, one Aquablue and a GE 6500K.

I just swap out one of my atinic to Blue Plus and WOWOWOW!!!

It's like literally 5x brighter than my old t5 bulb that is only 4 months old. ATI bulbs all the way.

Make all my coral POP. Absolutely unbelieveable.

Thanks all for the help! :lol2::lol2:

Sorry for the long post, but I have been out of the reef game for about 8 yrs and recently set up a 29g - 30"Lx12"Wx18"D with my old Eclipse System 3 hood modded with a 65w PC 50/50. I realize the hood is junk and have built a custom canopy 14" tall that is very ventilated to replace it. I have shrooms, LPS, and zoas right now, but would like to try my hand at SPS in the upper 1/3 of the tank

My question is that after reading through hundreds of threads on lighting the last couple months I am still torn on what I should do. If anyone could give a quick bit of advice one way or another I would greatly appreciate it.

Option 1 - DIY LED setup with 24 LED's - 12 RB, 2 CB, 2 UV XP-E on one driver and 8 NW XP-G on the other driver - I'm unsure of the color and have heard mixed coral growth and burn results, but like the dimmability

Option 2 - ATI Sunpower 4x24 - Blue+, Purple+, Coral+, Blue+ - Of all the pics and vids I've seen the T5's produce the best looking color, although lack the shimmer effect

Option 3 - Aqua Medic Ocean Light Plus 150W HQI + 2x24w T5HO - Radium 20K with 2 Blue+ (or maybe actinic since PAR isn't an issue just need dawn/dusk?) - I have seen Radium 20K personally and love the color, growth, plus the shimmer effect.

All are about the same initial cost, and I'm ready to pull the trigger just need a push in the right direction and possibly weigh in on these color combo's. Also heat really isn't an issue...just pure aesthetics 1st and growth 2nd. Thanks in advance

Back