The T5 Q&a Thread - split

Would 2 12 bulb fixtures be overkill on a tank this size? (Mixed reef)
And kindly point me in the direction of your choices in fixtures or DIY's.
Thanks Grim.

Assuming thats the 8x2x2 foot variety 2 8 lamp fixtures are what you need.

If you are sticking with softies those cheap fixtures with good lamps will work fine. Even a few LPS and SPS on the very top of the rocks. For a mixed reef I'd go with 2 8x54(48 inch) Tek lights.

If you find a deal using 36" fixtures would be fine too, depending on how you are mounting them maybe even better. If these are going in a canopy 36" might be a better idea.

If you want a lot of SPS do ATI Sunpower fixtures.

4 would be enough but 6 would be better for color. A tek fixture would be good enough if you do 6 lamps.

Grim,
At what height would I need to mount the 6 bulb as to not burn my corals to a crisp? I am guessing start it out around the 12 in mark? Also since I will be so new to T5 would you please suggest a good looking bulb pattern?

Grim,
At what height would I need to mount the 6 bulb as to not burn my corals to a crisp? I am guessing start it out around the 12 in mark? Also since I will be so new to T5 would you please suggest a good looking bulb pattern?

6 inches above

Front
Blue plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

The Aqualife purple is simular to the ATI purple plus however you would get slighly better light using the ATI Purple plus. So the switch could give you a niminal gain. Anoter gain might be swaping the Coral Plus to a Blue Plus. The tank won't be quite as bright but the Par would be lightly higher with more Blue.

If it were mine I would add a strip of LED's for added suplementation. If it is a 24" deep tank a strip of about 30 watts of Blue LED's in the front and back of the 6 bulb fixture.

Interesting. I'll definitely consider this. Any recommendations for a direction to go with this? I have zero knowledge on LEDs... Brand? Store?

Thanks a lot!!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic..._Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08102-FILTFILDLK-vi.html

Would this be good enough to supplement my t5s to help the clam be healthy on the sand? It's the Ecoxotic 48 Inch Stunner 24W LED Strip. I would add it to the front and point it to the clam and hopefully it would help the sps as well. What do you think?

Thanks!

Bump

Hey Grim and company.

About to replace my bulbs. Current setup below for a mixed reef based on Grim's previous suggestion. Mostly LPS and zoas. Has worked great for growth and the few Sps I have love this setup. I'm wondering if there is a way to get this a little bit whiter without compromising the growth/health of the corals. I have seen the coral + mentioned a bit. I don't think it was available last time I bought bulbs. Tank is a 150.

80W bulbs
Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI purple Plus
Blue plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Also, recommendations on where to buy online? Anyone new out there I should look at.

Thanks!

Hey grim, any advantage growth wise between the ge6500k and the c+. This is an SPS tank 6x39 sun power. Love my color now just wondering if it would be worth the switch in the future as growth is my main priority
Front to back-
Reefbrite
B+
P+
B+
C+
B+
B+

Hey grim, any advantage growth wise between the ge6500k and the c+. This is an SPS tank 6x39 sun power. Love my color now just wondering if it would be worth the switch in the future as growth is my main priority
Front to back-
Reefbrite
B+
P+
B+
C+
B+
B+

Not sure you'd see enough difference to make it worth it.

I currently am running 2 AI Sol Blue's over my 48" long tank with 2 T-5's to supplement. I am using a ATI Blue+, and a Fiji Purple. I am trying to get the reds, pinks and purples to pop. It seems like the Fiji purple isn't adding much of the red spectrum though. Do you think the Purple plus would make a difference? I have also heard of some place magenta stunner strips to supplement. Any advice or opinions?

Hey grim I have a question for you. I am sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, as I do not have the patience to flip through that many pages of this wonderful thread of yours. I have a 20l with 2 seperate odyssea fixtures (24") running back to front stock actinic, giesemann aquablue+, giesemann actinic+, giesemann aquablue+. I am wondering if I should have the lights right on the tank or suspended? Thank you in advance! Tony

I currently am running 2 AI Sol Blue's over my 48" long tank with 2 T-5's to supplement. I am using a ATI Blue+, and a Fiji Purple. I am trying to get the reds, pinks and purples to pop. It seems like the Fiji purple isn't adding much of the red spectrum though. Do you think the Purple plus would make a difference? I have also heard of some place magenta stunner strips to supplement. Any advice or opinions?

If it isn't already try moving the purple lamp to the front and see if that helps.

Hey grim I have a question for you. I am sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, as I do not have the patience to flip through that many pages of this wonderful thread of yours. I have a 20l with 2 seperate odyssea fixtures (24") running back to front stock actinic, giesemann aquablue+, giesemann actinic+, giesemann aquablue+. I am wondering if I should have the lights right on the tank or suspended? Thank you in advance! Tony

Doesn't really matter, whatever works best for you

I believe that I read somewhere that T5's are more efficient output wise the longer the bulb. In other words, the center of a 48" bulb will have a greater PAR output then a 36" bulb. Is there any truth to that?

I ask because I currently have a 120 gallon and I'm looking to upgrade to an ATI fixture from my current fixture (48" aquaticlife 6 bulb t5). I am temped to get a 36" 8 bulb ATI fixture because I feel like it will give me the spread I need. I will be keeping primarily SPS so I don't want to sacrifice PAR to save a couple bucks though.

Hey Grim, wanted to start a frag tank for zoas and poly. I have a ATI fixture with 6 bulbs. Bought it used so don’t know the life of the bulbs. What would be the best setup for a 40G breeder?

I believe that I read somewhere that T5's are more efficient output wise the longer the bulb. In other words, the center of a 48" bulb will have a greater PAR output then a 36" bulb. Is there any truth to that?

I ask because I currently have a 120 gallon and I'm looking to upgrade to an ATI fixture from my current fixture (48" aquaticlife 6 bulb t5). I am temped to get a 36" 8 bulb ATI fixture because I feel like it will give me the spread I need. I will be keeping primarily SPS so I don't want to sacrifice PAR to save a couple bucks though.

Don't know about more efficient. The longer lamps have a little more output but they also have a higher watt draw per inch so.....

Looks like the answer based on other responses is to stick with what I have. No way to get it more white.

Hey Grim,

About to replace my bulbs. Current setup below for a mixed reef based on Grim's previous suggestion. Mostly LPS and zoas. Has worked great for growth and the few Sps I have love this setup. I'm wondering if there is a way to get this a little bit whiter without compromising the growth/health of the corals. I have seen the coral + mentioned a bit. I don't think it was available last time I bought bulbs. Tank is a 150.

80W bulbs
Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI purple Plus
Blue plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Also, recommendations on where to buy online? Anyone new out there I should look at.

Thanks!

t5 bulb arrangement (Thank-You to GRIM REEFER & TROPTREA for your advice!!!)

t5 bulb arrangement (Thank-You to GRIM REEFER & TROPTREA for your advice!!!)

Going to be buying new T5 bulbs (total of 12 for a 72" fixture) and have received several different suggestions on how to line up/type of bulbs to use...wanted to add one more combination and ask for feedback please on all of them:
Thoughts on color range (i.e. 12K, 15K, 20K?, more whitish or more bluish?)

[my idea]
1 BLUE +
2 BLUE + (Dusk/Dawn switch)
3 CORAL +
LED - blue - night light only
4 PURPLE + (Dusk/Dawn switch)
5 AQUABLUE SPECIAL
6 BLUE +

Front
1 ATI Blue Plus
2 Aquatic life 10K
3 ATI Blue Plus
Blue LED's
4 ATI Purple Plus
5 ATI Blue Plus
6 ATI Blue Plus

You may need to modify this so you have either two Blue Plus or 1 Blue Plus and one Purple Plus on your dawn to dusk.

Then I'd use a Giesemann Aquablue which is a little more white than the ATI version which is blueish.

1.Blue Plus
2.Purple Plus
3.Blue Plus
LED - BLUE - Night lite only
4.Aquablue
5.Blue Plus
6.Blue Plus

If you don't like having the purple plus in the dusk/dawn mix move it back a slot and put the blue plus in number 2. I'd use 4 rows of ATI Blue Plus, 1 row of Purple Plus and 1 row of the Aquatic life 10K.

Back