The T5 Q&a Thread - split

Looks like the answer based on other responses is to stick with what I have. No way to get it more white.

Hey Grim,

About to replace my bulbs. Current setup below for a mixed reef based on Grim's previous suggestion. Mostly LPS and zoas. Has worked great for growth and the few Sps I have love this setup. I'm wondering if there is a way to get this a little bit whiter without compromising the growth/health of the corals. I have seen the coral + mentioned a bit. I don't think it was available last time I bought bulbs. Tank is a 150.

80W bulbs
Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI purple Plus
Blue plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Also, recommendations on where to buy online? Anyone new out there I should look at.

Thanks!

How much more white do you want? I have a few odd lamps laying about I can loan you to play with if you're ever over this way Far as I know reefgeek has as good a price as anyone.

Going to be buying new T5 bulbs (total of 12 for a 72" fixture) and have received several different suggestions on how to line up/type of bulbs to use...wanted to add one more combination and ask for feedback please on all of them:
Thoughts on color range (i.e. 12K, 15K, 20K?, more whitish or more bluish?)

[my idea]
1 BLUE +
2 BLUE + (Dusk/Dawn switch)
3 CORAL +
LED - blue - night light only
4 PURPLE + (Dusk/Dawn switch)
5 AQUABLUE SPECIAL
6 BLUE +

That will be about 14K

Does anyone using a 8 bulb fixture use the 6 tubes for dusk/dawn and add the other 2 bulbs for daylight?

eg turn 6 bulbs on for 12 hours and have 8 bulbs on for 8 hours?

trying this out

KZ blue
KZ blue
* KZ New gen
KZ Actinic
KZ blue
* KZ New gen
Fiji pink
KZ blue

Its probably been asked a bajillion times... but sifting through this monstrous thread!...

I have an Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5HO fixture on a 40g Long tank, fixture is on the legs not suspended. It is currently running with the bulbs it came with, I think 2 actinic and 2 10k. With all lights on including the moonlights the tank is horribly pale white, with just actinics and moonlights on its ok just abit dim and a tiny bit too blue.

The tank is housing a few softies and LPS at present (new tank)

What bulbs in what order would you recommend and which pairs per circuit for day, dusk/dawn? When it comes time to swapping bulbs do i take it slow? ie 1-2 bulbs at a time?

What would be the recommended light cycle once the livestock has adjusted to the new bulbs? (i am nubbins)

Thanks

Its probably been asked a bajillion times... but sifting through this monstrous thread!...

I have an Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5HO fixture on a 40g Long tank, fixture is on the legs not suspended. It is currently running with the bulbs it came with, I think 2 actinic and 2 10k. With all lights on including the moonlights the tank is horribly pale white, with just actinics and moonlights on its ok just abit dim and a tiny bit too blue.

The tank is housing a few softies and LPS at present (new tank)

What bulbs in what order would you recommend and which pairs per circuit for day, dusk/dawn? When it comes time to swapping bulbs do i take it slow? ie 1-2 bulbs at a time?

What would be the recommended light cycle once the livestock has adjusted to the new bulbs? (i am nubbins)

Thanks

ATI Lamps

Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

10 to 12 hours with duskdawn pair on with the daylights on 6 to 10 hours.

I've been running a 6 bulb retro fit kit with miro reflectors and standard non overdriven ballasts for several years now over a standard oceanic 120 tank. The bulbs are mounted in the enclosed hood about 4" from the water surface. Sometimes I feel like I have way too much light at the top of my tank due to some of the corals being bleached for a long time. I've never been able to check the PAR values and I'm wondering if anyone here can give me a rough estimate for the top of the water based on experience with similar setups. Are my lights too close to the water?

My bulbs are

blue +
purple +
blue +
GE 6500k
actinic white
blue +

How much more white do you want? I have a few odd lamps laying about I can loan you to play with if you're ever over this way Far as I know reefgeek has as good a price as anyone.

Probably the look that 2 of the GEs would give me but I haven't really played with them. Guessing that will compromise the growth quite a bit though. Thanks for the response Grim. It is greatly appreciated. I'd love to come and see your set up. PM me.

Adam

Grim i currently have a ATI 6 Bulb 48 inch fixture that was running 4 blue plus a purple plus and a ge 6500. This tank is now gonna be used for a frag tank and a friend of mine got me brand new bulbs how ever it has come to my attention that corals tend to like the blue spectrum more. The bulbs i was given were 4 ge 6500k and 2 coral plus. Im aware that these bulbs wont produce the most attractiveness of color but this tank is gonna be in a room that's completely out of site. Would this bulb configuration be "harmful" to the corals or limit growth in anyway? and if so what would you recommend replacing. My other option is using 2 old blue plus bulbs that are a year old over 2 of the 6500 new bulbs. Any input on this would be great.

What Kelvin temp. would this setup have?

Blue +
Purple +
GE 6500
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

I'm worried that I don't have enough blue with this setup. I like the look but don't want to limit growth.

Coral Plus equals Blue Plus (~50%), Aquablue Special (~40%) and Purple Plus (~10%)

Thank-You -

Visually, what is the difference between the 2 bulbs provided all other bulbs stay the same.

Option 1:
1: Blue +
2: Blue +
3: Coral +
4: Blue +
5: Purple +
6: Blue +

Option 2:
1: Blue +
3: AquaBlue Special

Option 3:
1: Coral +
3: AquaBlue Special

I have a similar question as above on the coral plus vs the Aquablue special. I know the percentages that ATI states but I have never seen this new Coral Plus bulb and I'm now in need of replacing my line up. I just want to know if people are liking this bulb. It seems like a good bulb from what I read on a local forum.

Here is what I currently run:

Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Aquablue Sp
Blue Plus
Actinic
Actinic

I'm thinking of going with this line up

Coral Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

My current line up is nice but I still think the Aquablue is too harsh. I would still like to get closer to my old Phoenix MH. It has been so long since I ran that bulb I might not know it even if I did achieved it lol.

I've been running a 6 bulb retro fit kit with miro reflectors and standard non overdriven ballasts for several years now over a standard oceanic 120 tank. The bulbs are mounted in the enclosed hood about 4" from the water surface. Sometimes I feel like I have way too much light at the top of my tank due to some of the corals being bleached for a long time. I've never been able to check the PAR values and I'm wondering if anyone here can give me a rough estimate for the top of the water based on experience with similar setups. Are my lights too close to the water?

My bulbs are

blue +
purple +
blue +
GE 6500k
actinic white
blue +

Add another actinic in place of the Actinic White and see what happens. If nothing else it should look better

Back