The T5 Q&a Thread - split

I just switched from LED to T5 and I'm running a 4 bulb unit. I'm running 2 Blue + and 2 Coral +. I'm still undecided if this is too blue, and if I should switch out a bulb for either a Purple + or AquaBlue.

As I've posted here before, I have pretty much every bulb from ATI, Giesemann, and KZ and have played around with about a million combinations of bulbs to get me the best combination of brightness, color, and growth.

For what its worth, based on both my experiments and what I've seen from around the web, the trick for getting the best out of your combination is balancing a strong green peak with the red and blue portions of the spectrum.

Over and over again, I see tanks with amazing color that use Aquablue Special bulbs(which have a huge green peak). Every time I tried the bulb, I hated how it made the tank look greenish and the colors were washed out. I kept trying different combinations and didn't really see growth AND color take off until I got the Aquablue special tamed.

Remember, only my experiences and my thoughts on viewing color are subjective, the color development in the corals is less subjective. There are many factors at work in an SPS tank that can lead to good color, but I feel that the water parameters have been more or less pretty stable during each of the combos and they were left in place for at least a few weeks to see the effect.

My setup: ATI Sunpower 8X39watt, positions 3 and 6 on 11.5 hours, all bulbs on for 6.5 hours of that time.

Some combos and my results:

#1:

KZ SuperBlue

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue Plus

KZ New Gen

KZ SuperBlue

KZ SuperBlue

KZ New Gen

KZ SuperBlue

Results:

Growth: Slow

Visible Color: Good color representation, definitely blue overtone, a bit dim to the eye

Coral color: Blues Intensified a bit, greens faded some.

Note: Seemed to be better lower to the water, approximately 6" off the surface.

#2:

KZ SuperBlue

KZ New Gen

ATI Blue Plus

KZ New Gen

KZ Fiji Purple

KZ SuperBlue

KZ New Gen

KZ SuperBlue

Results:

Growth: Slow-medium

Visible Color: Good color representation, very visibly bright

Coral color: Tip color improved, but some corals seemed stressed and some tips lost color/burned.

Note: This worked better when I raised the light to about 10" off the water(which blinded me)

#3:

KZ SuperBlue

KZ SuperBlue

ATI Blue Plus

Giesemann Aquablue Plus

KZ Fiji Purple

KZ SuperBlue

KZ New Gen

KZ SuperBlue

Results:

Growth: Slow

Visible Color: Yuck "“ too yellow for my taste, very visibly bright

Coral color: Corals showed stress within days, some tips/sides of sps burned. Corals began turning brown.

Note: The Aquablue Plus is pretty yellow and hard to balance, and puts out a lot of UV

#4:

KZ SuperBlue

KZ SuperBlue

Giesemann Actinic Plus(Very similar to Blue Plus, a bit more actinic)

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ Fiji purple

KZ SuperBlue

ATI Blue Plus

KZ SuperBlue

Results:

Growth: Medium - Corals immediately responded with growth as soon as the Aquablue went in.

Visible Color: Pretty good representation of color, a bit dull though, a bit dim

Coral color: Bases and tips showed better color within days

Note: Putting the Fiji purple next to the Aquablue helped with the color wash-out, but the overall dimness was not desirable.

#5:

KZ SuperBlue

KZ New Gen

ATI Blue Plus

Giesemann Lagoon Blue(Strong Green and red peaks)

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ SuperBlue

KZ Fiji purple

KZ SuperBlue

Results:

Growth: High - Corals accelerated growth when the Lagoon blue went in next to the Aquablue.

Visible Color: Very good representation of color, Reflective and fluorescent colors glow nicely, Very bright.

Coral color: Bases and tips showed intensified colors, every coral is growing and responding strongly.

Final combo, the one I'm using now:

#6:

Giesemann Lagoon blue

KZ Super Blue

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ SuperBlue

KZ Fiji purple

KZ SuperBlue

Growth: Very High - Corals accelerated growth further, and I have had to up my 2-part dosing significantly.

Visible Color: Very good representation of color, Reflective and fluorescent colors glow nicely, Very bright.

Coral color: Several corals are coloring up in ways that they never had before.

Note: This combo is my current combo and has been in place for about 1 month. The lights are 7" off the water, it looks great and the corals are doing very well.

To sum up: My experience suggests that a lot of blue light doesn't seem to do much for the corals until there is a strong green component to go with it. There are some studies from Germany that seem to support the need for the green spectrum(but its still not clear what the heck it does for the coral). As you add green, it's a delicate process to add enough red to balance it aesthetically. I found putting the Fiji purple toward the back helped moderate the red intensity some. KZ New Gen bulbs are good for overall brightness but they seem to be missing something for growth. The Aquablue Special bulb(or that in combination with lagoon blue) for me was the key.

Hi. Any Idea on combo for a 12 bulb fixture that would be similar to your #6 configuration?

Hi. Any Idea on combo for a 12 bulb fixture that would be similar to your #6 configuration?

For a 12 bulb fixture, I would give this a shot(positions 4 and 9 are dusk/dawn?):
front-back
1)Giesemann Lagoon blue
2)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus
3)KZ fiji Purple
4)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus
5)ATI Aquablue Special
6)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus
7)ATI Aquablue Special
8)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus
9)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus
10)KZ Fiji purple
11)Aquablue Special
12)KZ Super Blue/ATI Blue Plus

If different positions are the dawn/dusk positions, shuffle them so that the blue bulbs are in those positions. I found I liked the fiji purple bulbs better near the outside of the fixture, whether in front or back(I did not like the Purple plus or Coral plus bulbs from ATI like the Fiji Purple, the ATI bulbs made everything look more pink than i liked.)
I like the Lagoon blue up front, it gives a nice brightness and helps the overall color balance. If you have both Blue+ and Superblue bulbs, I'd mix them throughout, if you have to spend more or if its difficult to get the Superblue you will be fine with the Blue+ only.
I hope this combo will work for you:)

I'm sure it's been discussed countless times but I'm wondering which is the best combo for growth and colors of SPS on a 6 bulb fixture. I was thinking about switching out the coral+ for an aquablue.
I'm currently running:
Front
blue+
blue+
coral+
purple+
blue+
blue+

Last edited:
Im running 5 blue+ and 1 aquablue and it looks good. I use to run the same setup as Joe Cool and I find it to have too much red

Im running 5 blue+ and 1 aquablue and it looks good. I use to run the same setup as Joe Cool and I find it to have too much red

This has a lot to do with personal color taste. On 6 bulbs in my opinion 1 or even 2 coral plus would look look too blue. As far as the Purple plus unless you have a yellow bulb even one can look to purple to some people, but to others they like it shift the spectrum away from red to more of a sunrise purple (even pink) look.

The Aqua blue however has the near complete absence of red light and would be better balanced with either a Coral plus to add red and little more white or the purple plus to add more red if you do not want to go too bright.

mhucasey I will agree with your assessment with the exception that in none of your combinations do I see the GE 6,500K or GE Chroma 5,000K. Either of these bulbs work as a nice boast to the full spectrum colors especially when supplemented with a purple bulb.

The GE 6500K is indeed the one bulb I never got. I intended to order it in one of my first bulb purchases, but it wasn't available at the time. It seemed to be missing from a lot of the newer combos I saw online so I never gave it a try. I may try it as I hear it may be possible to get at a local HD or Lowes store. Otherwise I have enough bulbs to not need to place an order for some time.

If your trying different combinations the GE 6,500K is a must in my mind for creating an initial baseline. It is the closed you will find to to the color rendition throughout the spectrum during mid day in the shade. However since most of us are used to looking at a blue light tank it does appear more amber to the naked eye.

Another great bulb for reflective light comparison is the GE Chroma 50 or 5,000K. However they are extremly hard to find and may even be taken out of production. This was the highest CRI bulb with a very wide and flat light spectrum. When placed in a light fixture next to the 6,500K it would look whiter than the 6,500K but make the eye see the blueish tint in the 6,500K which is slightly stronger. The GE Chroma 50 is very comparable to LED's sold as Neutral Whites with the exception that the LED's lack a little in the 500nm range in comparison.

Lighting for a 55 gal

Lighting for a 55 gal

I'm setting up a standard 55 and I have a retrofit canopy holding 4 T5's. What bulbs will give me the best light for monti's and LPS? TIA

I have two kessils a360s for a 6 foot 125 gallon that I want to supliment with a dual bulb 48 inch t5 unit.

What bulbs should i be considering?
I'm thinking a full sectrum and a purple or pink bulb?

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed countless times but I'm wondering which is the best combo for growth and colors of SPS on a 6 bulb fixture. I was thinking about switching out the coral+ for an aquablue.
I'm currently running:
Front
blue+
blue+
coral+
purple+
blue+
blue+

I switched it up to:
Front
Blue+
Blue+
Aquablue special
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+

Opinions?

Lighting for 145 gallon

Lighting for 145 gallon

Hi,

I have a 48" x 26" x 26.5", 145 gallon tank that is almost done it's cycle. I have a tek light 8 bulb t5 fixture which has 2 ballasts. I was planning on using 6 of it's bulbs. I am unfamiliar with t5 lighting and I was wondering what combination of bulbs I should be using for low light and daylight situations.

Currently I have 9 bulbs I can chose from.

5 actinic plus (blue)
3 aquablue plus
1 fiji purple pure actinic

I was also thinking of purchasing a fiji pink bulb as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a 48" x 26" x 26.5", 145 gallon tank that is almost done it's cycle. I have a tek light 8 bulb t5 fixture which has 2 ballasts. I was planning on using 6 of it's bulbs. I am unfamiliar with t5 lighting and I was wondering what combination of bulbs I should be using for low light and daylight situations.

Currently I have 9 bulbs I can chose from.

5 actinic plus (blue)
3 aquablue plus
1 fiji purple pure actinic

I was also thinking of purchasing a fiji pink bulb as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

The Tak fixtures are not as bright as some of the other wider fixtures that use individual reflectors for each bulb. therefore 6 bulbs would be insufficient for most corals except the extreme low light corals.

Next the atinic bulbs are extrem low light and low PAR bulbs so I would use those either. They peak at 410nm and you need the blues to peak in the 450 to 460 range like the Blue Plus ATI Bulbs.

Next the Fiji Purple is a combination of Blue and Red not atinic. But this is a good bulb for adding the needed red and I would use one of these in your combination.

The aqua blue special is a full spectrum bulb that has a little extra blue to it and a little less red. One of these would work good with the Fiji Purple.

The remainer of your bulbs should be ATI Blue Plus bulbs or the equivalent.

Can someone give me the best combiation for a 10x24w light please.
Was thinking about 6 Kz Superblue 2 Kz New Generation and 2 Kz Fiji Purple.
Thanks.

Love ATI lamps but the Blue+ is just a little to much of a turquoise color for my eye. Is there a similar lamp that has more of a deeper blue without losing the wonderful PAR from the ATI? KZ or Geisemann ?

Thanks Reefers,
Mark

Love ATI lamps but the Blue+ is just a little to much of a turquoise color for my eye. Is there a similar lamp that has more of a deeper blue without losing the wonderful PAR from the ATI? KZ or Geisemann ?

Thanks Reefers,
Mark

I have recently started to use Pacific Sun tubes. Their Crystal Blue tube is ATI blue + equivalent, but it provides deeper blue. Have a look at this link for more information.

I have an 8bulb tek elite fixture over my 115 rimless. I have it about 6-8 inches over the water and I'm running all Ati bulbs.

Is that ok? Is this fixture good? Am I hanging it too low?

Thanks for your help.

Back