Thedomes 65G Tank

thedomes

Hello! So very new to the salt water world. My husband and i have had our tank set up for a few months (or more)... When we were finally ready to start about a month ago we did a cycle and my husband turned the lights on... Big mistake. Way too much algae growth!! The guy at our local fish store suggested to turn all the lights off and start doing 20% water changes every one to two days until we hit 100% and then switch to 10% until our levels were back to normal. I also covered the tank in cardboard to keep the light out Took about a week and a half and we finally got our first fish yesterday! Two DaVinci Clownfish, a couple sea urchins, a pyramid snail, two spiny astrea snails and three ring cowrie snails. So far everyone seems happy! I'm loving the urchins, they've just buddied right up and move along our rocks together, pretty cute!! Anyone else noticed urchins stick together like that?

Last edited:
Welcome to RC! Whenever the lights are on you’re going to get algae growth of some sort. Most tanks go through a cycle of ugly stages of sort (diatoms, to hair algae, to Dino’s) and it’s just working through it.
With the nassarius snails, they should find their way to the sand, but may get stuck in rock crevices, so it may be best to assist them to the sand bed.
As for urchins, I’ve never had mine buddy up but they are also two different types (pin cushion and tuxedo)

Welcome to Reef Central. Looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

Welcome to RC! Whenever the lights are on you’re going to get algae growth of some sort. Most tanks go through a cycle of ugly stages of sort (diatoms, to hair algae, to Dino’s) and it’s just working through it.
With the nassarius snails, they should find their way to the sand, but may get stuck in rock crevices, so it may be best to assist them to the sand bed.
As for urchins, I’ve never had mine buddy up but they are also two different types (pin cushion and tuxedo)
Hi! Thank you for the advice, I wondered as well if they might get stuck... Okay I'll move them!

Mine are two different types as well! One is a green and the other a blue tuxedo!

Nice. Mine are rarely together. My pin cushion keeps to the rocks and the tuxedo to the glass

Does everybody name their fish?!

PXL_20221019_200736776_exported_1666280385233.jpg

I personally don’t name them, but my 4 year old son does. The names change every few days lol

Back