Things I have learned in this hobby...

I have only recently begun this hobby (five months in) but have already learned the vacation rule. I had gone through all the preparations for being gone for three weeks, prepped and reprepped my brother on how to care for the tank while I was away, then (five days before I was supposed to leave) my light fixture went kaput. Knowing I was going to have the immediately fork out mega bucks for new lights I was all, "NOOOOO! Fish! You fish don't know how much I love you! You don't even care!" The fish just "blub, blubbed" back at me. I'm sure they were saying, "Is it feeding day yet?" They're very ungrateful.

great list.

ill add a couple.

1. never give your wife or GF number of LFS ... she will call to ask if ure there, when u tell her your on your way home lol

2. There is a possibility of everything failing. if pipes and joint of tank fail, you will get limited flood [amount of water the tank holds] but if a live water pipe fails, you will have unlimited water to flood [my RO tube somehow got disconnected from the float valve ] now I have it in a tub.

3. when something goes wrong at the middle of the night, or as you are getting home ... DO NOT PANIC. take a breathe first, plan out your actions for the next couple of mins or hours, then proceed. many times I have tried to remove the light, hold the extension court, and dig something out of the tank .. and many times I have made mistake of putting the hand holding the light or extension cord right into the tank ... or went to remove something fast, and broke something else nearby making it even worse ...

4. when going on vacation, label everything, and make more than enough RO/DI water. you dont want to be on the other side of the planet, and get a call that the sump is empty ! fish watcher will have a REALLY hard time replacing your dead return pump and making alot of RO/DI water [Made less than enough RO/DI water, it ran out, sump level went too low, pump was running dry and so on ... my friend had to bring the LFS owner to my place to get it replaced, as he couldnt figure out the pipes ]

Women can and will be jealous of a tank of water

Fish are highly emotional, sensitive beings. They will commit suicide (jumping)

Tanks have periods, it can get ugly. Fortunately, like with women, with the correct treatment they will return to normal.

Coral Banded Shrimps are serial killers. They will try to murder everything that moves, including you.

Don't trust herbivores. Snails are highly malicious, evil creatures who take great satisfaction from knocking over your corals.

Re: online ordering
1) only order from reputable sources (ones with a guarantee) or call & speak to someone about your order.
2) spend enough to get the free shipping (if applicable)
3) never order to receive an order on Friday, if something goes wrong with the order it will sit somewhere over the weekend and likely die

Don't leave a rats nest of extension cables, cords and various plugs laying on the floor next to a refugium with 800 pipes and hoses going in and out of various stuff. If you do this and realize that something isn't as tightly fitted as you thought, do not try to wipe it up with a kitchen towel. Especially, do not do this while holding on to the metal frame of your stand with your other hand.

Just trust me!

Back