Things I have learned in this hobby...

I spent 3 years as a professional aquarist & learned these tips the hard way:

Love your tip about not standing on a plastic sink to reach the tank - I learned that at a client's restaurant tank - the bar table is not a ladder either.

I think the bar story need be told.

One of the rules I live by in this hobby is this...

If you notice something that doesn't seem right, then devise a plan to correct it immediately. Don't wait to fix anything in your tank.

Great, comically / annoyingly true list.

to add to it:

MH lights CAN burn to the point of leaving a scar......

As soon as you have your tank "Exactly" the way you want it, something will go wrong and you will have to redo most of it.

at some point when your wife gets home before you, there will be a skimmer malfunction and the house will have that "lovely" smell only a skimmer can produce.

Great, comically / annoyingly true list.

to add to it:

MH lights CAN burn to the point of leaving a scar......

I still have a scar on my forearm from when a cleaner shrimp climbed up the inside of my arm when I couldn't see it & I jerked my arm up & briefly touched the MH bulb back in 2002. Every time I get a tan it burns first & gets darker. It's just like a hot motorcycle tailpipe. A brief touch & skin comes off!

Got a couple of new ones to add....

Whenever you use....even briefly.... anything of your spouses tools, utensils, etc for something on your tank....it apparently sets up some type of auto buying shopping spree for the spouse to now replace said object that is still in perfect condition. I used my wife's mixing cup to mix a simple solution...wife goes out and buys a brand new set.....I used a spare sink towel to dry up a small spill....wife now has 20 new sink towels.....

If you want to do an experience in both finding out how hot the sun is and how big your kids eyes can get after a slue of curse words escapes your mouth I would suggest using a hole saw to drill through a 1" marble tile that is bedded by 2" of concrete for a return line....THEN accidentally leaning your arm against it right when you pull the hole saw out.

Thanks for this thread. I find it informative and funny. I also found out that (note that I did not say I learned):

* if your RO unit is not fixed to your house's plumbing system permanently with an automatic shut off valve, it is not a good idea to operate it late night, when you are busy or tired, or are about to watch your favourite programme on TV. Otherwise, be prepared for flooding in your house...

On one occasion, I flooded my kitchen three times in one night alone (I fell a sleep while watching TV). Clearly I have difficulty in learning lessons from my own mistakes....

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I find it informative and funny. I also found out that (note that I did not say I learned):

* if your RO unit is not fixed to your house's plumbing system permanently with an automatic shut off valve, it is not a good idea to operate it late night, when you are busy or tired, or are about to watch your favourite programme on TV. Otherwise, be prepared for flooding in your house...

On one occasion, I flooded my kitchen three times in one night alone (I fell a sleep while watching TV). Clearly I have difficulty in learning lessons from my own mistakes....

Totally relate to this one. Left the RO runnig by our bar and flooded the area twice because I forgot about. The second time, my wife sent me to the doctor to be checked for early onset alzheimers. YES SHE REALLY DID.

I can't keep firefish because they keep jumping out, so to save time, when I buy them, I just take them out of the bag and throw them on the floor.

Firefish are my fiancé's absolute favorite. Open-top aquariums are my favorite. I think I might just set up random saltwater buckets around my tank with air stones in them and hope the fish are good shots.

Totally relate to this one. Left the RO runnig by our bar and flooded the area twice because I forgot about. The second time, my wife sent me to the doctor to be checked for early onset alzheimers. YES SHE REALLY DID.

LOL - I don't know how many times I've done this...

I thought of one: 'YES your non-reefing friends ARE tired of hearing about your tank...'

Someone has a signature that says no matter how much you read and research you don't know as much as you think. something to that affect.So true.I thought I had a solid grasp on things before I started.Now I'm replacing my entire light system.After 5 months of use...

Back