Think I SCORED on a Coral purchase....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9296472#post9296472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackheart
When you look at it does it look like dead coral you have seen it before at the beach or some fish store? Or does it look more smooth? If it starts to grow algae on it you will know its dead. I think its live though. Good luck and tell us what you see.

Try and take the white balance on your camera down a bit so we can see more detail.

Blackheart:

I have never really looked to close at corals in stores like that, sorry! I will notice some next time I can.

It is very definitely hard, and not soft. Roughish feeling, not smooth or soft. There is sort of a hexagonal pattern of lines, with a mound in the middle of each.. with a pore in the middle of that. I have been looking for something sticking out of those pores- nothing so far. I have not watched after lights off, though.

I will see what I can do tonight for a more detailed picture in the white areas.

Not all sponges die when taking out of water. Some species are intertidal, for example. I'm leaning toward skeleton at this point.

If there is a tad bit of color anywhere on the white part it may be something that can come back. I had porites as a hitchhiker and part of it was starting to bleach but came back.

am i good or what? :)

love that litlte fungia so cute

OK, here is my feeble attempt at a better picture!

rock4.JPG

Well, hard to say. Are there any signs of tentacles, or other flexible parts? You might have a bleached coral or a sponge. You could wait and see what happens.

Back