Thinking about adding a Refugium

Reefflections

I've been tossing this around now for awhile now.If I can figure out the plumbing aspect of it would be great.Is there any rule of thumb as ratio,per tank size or water volume that needed for a Refugium?Have a 240,maybe in the range of 150/180 gallons of total water volume.Or is it any size is better than nothing.I'm limited as for space goes also.Can't put it in the cabinet.Has to be mounted on a wall above the main system.But just trying to find out,is there a certain ratio.To get the most out of the Refugium,compared to the main system?Any info would be great.
Thanks
Curt

Thanks for your reply on this matter.I was thinking it would be this way,as for bigger you can go.Yes I do have a few Tangs in there.But the main goal is to low any nutrients that's in the system.Being mainly SPS corals.But do know the Macros do help feeding the fish also.But it seems lot of us,always run into the problem with the space issues.If anything size always has to be cut down,say to make it fit.But thanks for your reply,because any info is always great to hear.

If you need to knock down nutrients a remote DSB providing an anoxic zone will probably be a more efficient use of space. Set up about 200 - 300 gph over the top of some 5 gallon buckets or a 20 long tank. Fill it with 8 inches of sand or so. You will have a gradual orthophosphate build up but it should knock your nitrates down to zero. You can deal with the phosphates by replacing the sand every so often 12 - 18 months most likely. You won't get a noticeable nutrient reduction from macro in a small refugium. You will get food, pods, etc.

My big concern with a remote DSB is that you likely can't attach it to the wall due to weight concerns.

Thanks for you info there.Let me try to explain in more detail to you.It's a 240 gallon reef tank.We have open beam ceilings,with and open wall above the tank.I did have a Refugium set up there before.It was a 45 gallon Refugium.Where I ran into problems was.Water intake to it,had to be pumped about about 10 into the Refugium.What I did was use and old hang on basket from my wet/dry,as the over flow box to send it back into the tank.It was always hard to keep a steady flow.At times the goose neck tube would get air in it.Also had gluring sounds from it.Even try putting 1 bioball to keep it quiet.Also the turn over rate I battled aslo.Finally put a powerhead in there,to get more flow.But even then glass would get the hair algaeI really got to be very frustrating.I would love to do it again,but to make it work right is another story.I was close,but just not right.A lot of us like to get the pods back in the main tank.But the powerhead,had them minced meat.And not sure sure if they even got into that basket.I could put the 45 back in place,or like you mentioned the 20 gallon.But have to get rid of these other issues.Turn over rate,and hair algae.I know the algae will form on the glass.But it had to be clean really often.I want to do this again.But just want to do it right,and not be so frustrated with it this time.If I can't get the pods back in there that's ok.Sometimes you have to give up something to get something else.I hope you followed me on this.I have to get off now.But surely be back Tuesday,and really like to hear what you might come up with.
Thanks again,
Curt

Back