Thinking about switching MH for T5

bagged87blayzer

I have a Current 20" Sunpod and I am thinking about switching it for a T5 fixture. I am thinking about doing this because of heat and bulb selection. I am basically just keep LPS, Zoas, and Softies. I have basically traded out all my SPS for Chalices and . What would be a good fixture to switch it out for?

I could be wrong but I think sunlight supply or another common manufacturer is making shorter T5s nowadays. You can easily keep SPS and clams under them so you would definitely benefit from the lighting, less heat, less power consumption from T5s. If I can find out who the company is for sure that makes the shorter fixture I'll let you know but I strongly recommend them as superior lights to MH.

Nowadays unless you have a super deep tank MH can be a bit much. Fortunately more studies are coming out on the subject, too so reefers can be more informed. There's a great article in March or Aprils Fishkeeping magazine where James Fatheree measures t5 lights and their reflector effectiveness.

I would go for a 20 inch sundial by current or a 20 inch nova extreme pro. There are even new nova extremes that come with individual reflectors.

I would search the world and find a T-5 fixture with individual reflectors and make the change myself. There is no comparison between MH and T-5 IMO. T-5's are the best. Everything grows well unde them, and they put out half the heat.

^exactly I was so gassed up over the years about the greatness of halides and now that I have one I am not impressed in the least.

I choose MH. :)

The truth of the matter is, depending on the application, one is not always superior then the other, nor is it always cheaper.

check this out

check this out

I have plenty of sps and lps in my tank. I had 4 t5s and two 250w mh and every thing was growing great. I have since gotten ride of the mh and installed a tek 8 which a friend and i modified. we took a ice cap 660 and wired the 4 center bulbs to it and used the two bal that came in the tek8 and wired two bulbs to each one. so my lights come on in three stages my center four bulbs are being over driven I have no heat in my tank. my chiller hasn't come one since the mod. my electric bill went down and every thing in my tank is growing great. mind you it did take about 6 weeks for every thing to adjust but color and growth are great. I'm convinced mh are just not needed.

I recentley made the switch to t5's and couldn't be morw happier. I have the nova extreme pro 20 and its great. the colors really pop now. I have the solona also with sps and a clam and I have noticed a lot better growth now. only thing with the 18" bulbs is that you are limited to the different bulbs.

I love love love my halides. Have seen some gorgeous looking T5 tanks, but the shimmer of the halides is my favorite part.

Aquatinics is now making a T5 fixture with integrated LEDs which does mimic the shimmer, but I'm hooked on MH. Were I going to give up my MH, I would look at one of the Aquatinics setups. They were at MACNA, and were very impressive.

Back