Third Time's A Charm!

I stopped by JJ's the other day and raided his tank. Here are a pair of pics of some of my exploits.

IMG_9376Large.jpg

IMG_9377Large.jpg

Brad

I ordered a few things from fragglereef.com I ordered 3 corals, and I got one free one thrown in.

Here they are acclimating
IMG_9370Large.jpg

I also got some clams. I haven't decided how many I will end up putting in my tank. Some are 2 inches and others are 3 inches.
IMG_9372Large.jpg

Brad

Today I picked up my canopy from Ryan Nielson. It looks really nice. I haven't decided whether I will stain it the same color of the laminate flooring that we are putting in the room, or if I will paint it black. Once I do I will paint or stain it, and also get the trim that will go around the bottom of the tank and against the wall (thereby sealing the gap between the wall and the canopy). I plan to add some little wheels to the canopy so that it is easier to remove. It weighs more than I would like it to, and unfortunately it will need to be removed around twice a month so that I can scrape the acrylic and perform other basic maintenance. Although it would have been nice to have doors, it would have added weight and made it impossible for my wife and I to remove it. Given the size of the tank, you really have to lay on top of it to get anything done.

For some reason the pictures of it don't look that great. I will have to work on that. The pics make it seem like it makes the tank feel smaller, but in reality it makes the tank feel much larger. Here it is:
IMG_9364Large.jpg

IMG_9362Large.jpg

Brad

Your tank is looking awesome Brad! I really like the design and execution of it. Can't wait to see it fully stocked, should be one of the best tanks. :)

Wow, thanks guys. Coming from the two "Reefing Gods" of Iowa, that is a big compliment. Now if I can just get my coloration to be as good as the two of you, I'll be set.

Its funny. This project has taken about 3 times as long and has cost about 3 times more than I expected it would. I can't wait to finally get something display worthy.

Brad

Brad your tank is looking awesome! To be honest i am kind of disappointed with that canopy. I thought you would have something with hydraulics that retracted into the ceiling or something.

;)

Since this thread has shown the progress of my basement finishing attempt, here are some pics of the other room in the basement. The framing and electrical were done this weekend. Next weekend the drywall will get put up.

IMG_9418Large.jpg

IMG_9420Large.jpg

Brad

Last edited:
Since I know that nobody is interested in the pics of the other room, here are some tank pics. The front left and back right halide hadn't come on yet.

Left Side
IMG_9424Large.jpg

Right Side
IMG_9433Large.jpg

Left Corner
IMG_9425Large.jpg

Front
IMG_9431Large.jpg

Left Side
IMG_9437Large.jpg

Left Corner
IMG_9439Large.jpg

Brad

Outstanding!! Your tank is already loooking full! who's fault is that ;)

I've said this before but the tank is going to be freaking amazing!!!!

job well done!

Right now the tank is pretty much in a holding pattern. I am battling a bit of HA here and there, mainly on rocks that were transferred from my other tank. The base rock all looks very good and is beginning to see good coraline growth. I have very few fish, but all of the deaths keep the nutrient levels pretty high, since I still have no skimmer on the tank. I have been waiting on my Volcano for quite some time, and I don't have any idea when it will ever be finished. I hope it is worth the wait.

In the meantime, I have been making progress on finishing the basement.

Here is the before:
IMG_9418Large.jpg

Here is the after:
IMG_9596Large.jpg

IMG_9597Large.jpg

IMG_9599Large.jpg

Here are a few recent echino pics to keep it reef related:
Echino1Large.jpg

Echino2Large.jpg

Echino3Large.jpg

Brad

On the photo topic I would suggest that you use an ISO setting of 400 or less as that will lessen the noise in the photos and increase the quality quite a bit....

eins

Here is some more room related content. The tank hasn't been scraped in 4 weeks, and is definitely overdo.

Before
IMG_8070.jpg

After
IMG_9614Large.jpg

IMG_9610Large.jpg

IMG_9616Large.jpg

IMG_9618Large.jpg

Brad

The basement looks awesome Brad! I really like how it all came together. Nice job on planning and execution. :thumbsup:

Back