Third Time's A Charm!

Thanks guys. I am really happy with the way things are coming together. I have been really lucky to have the help of JJ, Philby, Nielsen, and everyone else who has pitched in to get this thing done. It has definitely been a long and difficult process. At times it was painfully slow. It is crazy to think that I started this almost a year and a half ago. What's worse is there is still a ton to do.

One of the next steps is to stain the stand and canopy to match the floor. The tank still needs to be stocked, with both fish and corals. I am still waiting on my skimmer from Spazz. I need to get a calcium reactor, and a few other miscellaneous pieces of equipment. I might end up setting up a continuous water change system like JJ has. I will probably get an ozone generator, and add some more functionality to my aquacontroller.

The basement itself has plenty that still needs to be figured out as well. I need a new computer and monitors. I also need to figure out whether I want a tv or a projector for the theater/fish tank room. If I do a tv I will probably get a 1080 Mitsubishi 73" DLP. I don't know what I would get if I go the projector route. Does anyone have any projector suggestions? My main concern is something that will work in a room with a fair bit of light, since the tank will always add some light to the room, and we would like to be able to use the room for general purposes like reading etc.

Brad

Lookin great Brad! Glad I could help with the plumbing and getting the tank into place.

I much prefer the skin around the base that matches the canopy, and unless it looks drastically different in person, I think staining the base/canopy to match the floor is the right call.

I think the only way to determine if a projector would work is to test one in the space...did your dad ever bring his over?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12522293#post12522293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Philby
Lookin great Brad! Glad I could help with the plumbing and getting the tank into place.

I much prefer the skin around the base that matches the canopy, and unless it looks drastically different in person, I think staining the base/canopy to match the floor is the right call.

I think the only way to determine if a projector would work is to test one in the space...did your dad ever bring his over?

I agree that I really need to test a projector. My dad hasn't yet brought his over, but I think he will this week. By the way, what's up with your tank? Are you still in a holding pattern, or are you overflowing with corals now?

Brad

Still in a holding pattern - i've got my kalk reactor built, I just need to buy a maxijet and an aqualifter for a top off pump. I also need to get another T5 bulb installed in my canopy (which is going to involve rewiring most of it)

I'm still experiencing a lot of browning in my coral, so I'd like to get that fixed before I add much more. Hopefully getting the calcium and alk up a bit, as well as more PAR from an extra bulb will return my frag colors to what they were when I put them in my tank!

Here are some new pics. We got the furniture last week, and the tv is going to be replaced with a mitsubishi dlp.

IMG_9673Large.jpg

IMG_9663Large.jpg

IMG_9671Large.jpg

IMG_9679Large.jpg

Brad

Hey Brad,

Everything is looking awesome man. Need to do another trip to Miyabi 9 to celebrate. Miami Heat is my new crack damn you. Hehe.

On the TV front, if you are still having projector thoughts, give Mike Wyckoff a call at Audio/Video Logic. Let him know that you are debating between a DLP and a projector. Also tell him Ryan West sent you. He should be able to set up an in home demo of a couple of different projectors. I have known Mike for years and he is a great guy.

Love the floor color. And I am glad you decided to stain the stand/hood to match.

So when's the tank warming party??!! Hell...I will even talk to my boss and see about getting us some tasty malt beverages (LAN/WAN Admin for a beer distributor now!!!)

Everything looks great, and I love the furniture color and placement! The color goes great with the walls/floor and the placement allows you to have a good view of both the TV and the tank so you can stare at either one easily.

I'm excited to come hang out in your basement!

I'm also up for some Miyabi 9, Friday work for you guys??

Miyabi on Friday it is! At this rate I may kill more fish by eating them than by subjecting them to the plague my tank went through. Game on.

Brad

I really like the last picture. Are you in a band or a DJ or something? What's the deal with the sound equipment in the back?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12588901#post12588901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by leeweber85
I really like the last picture. Are you in a band or a DJ or something? What's the deal with the sound equipment in the back?

I used to be in bands in highschool and college, but these days I mostly just record my own music. The green room (the one without the tank) is going to be a studio of sorts for me.

Brad

The weather was pretty crazy last night and was changing pretty fast. I snapped a couple of pics. All 4 pics were taken within a 5 minute period.

IMG_9686Large.jpg

IMG_9682Large.jpg

IMG_9693Large.jpg

IMG_9698Large.jpg

While all of that was going on outside, my tank was oblivious. It really made me wish I had a way to simulate storms in my tank. I know that some LED lighting has the ability to do some sort of weather simulation, but I don't think that the lighting is the primary element of a storm for a reef. I think it would take some kind of giant surge device to get things really well stirred up. If the surges weren't strong enough to break sps branches then they probably wouldn't be totally effective. If possible it would be cool to make the in tank storms coincide with the weather outside.

IMG_9673Large.jpg

Brad

The weather was crazy last night! Thought our old tree was going to break and fall on our house!(Thank god it didn't). Alot of people were killed yesterday becasue of the storms, I think in iowa there were around 7-9?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12616560#post12616560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LuvMyBizz
The weather was crazy last night! Thought our old tree was going to break and fall on our house!(Thank god it didn't). Alot of people were killed yesterday becasue of the storms, I think in iowa there were around 7-9?

Yeah things got pretty bad. It is sad that while people were being killed by the storm, I was thinking about how I could make my tank more "realistic".

Brad

Yea, it is sad because all I was thinking is I hope the power doesn't go out so everything in my tank won't die! R.I.P for those who died, like they said on the news it will be a memorial day we won't forget about!

I am still waiting on my skimmer, so I only have a handful of fish. Nevertheless, I am getting pretty good growth from everything right now. The other day I noticed that my previously red echino is starting to turn green in spots. With the right picture it would almost look like a watermelon chalice. It makes me wonder whether the watermelon chalice that jj is holding for me is really anything special, or if it is all about the tank conditions.

echinowithgreenLarge.jpg

Brad

Its been a while since I posted, so I figured it was time for an update.

I am still waiting on my Volcano from Spazz, but it should be shipped out this week.

I have a fair amount of HA right now due to the lack of skimmer.

I am having good growth and fairly good coloration, and I expect things to improve as soon as my skimmer shows up.

2 weeks ago I did an order from Atlantis, and I picked up some nice Echinos. Here are the pics. They are all straight out of the camera with no photoshop.

Ultimate Chalice
IMG_9802.jpg

Darth Maul
IMG_9806.jpg

Purple unknown
IMG_9809.jpg

Masterpiece Chalice
IMG_9812.jpg

Cherry Bomb
IMG_9814.jpg

Ultra (again)
IMG_9818.jpg

Candy Corn
IMG_9826.jpg

Here are a couple of my pieces from the same photo session.

Cali Tort
IMG_9817.jpg

Tricolor Valida
IMG_9825.jpg

Blastos
IMG_9830.jpg

Brad

Nice looking chalices almost as pimp as those baby blue zip up boots!Word up.Just remember pimpin aint easy but puttin those boots on is!

It looks like I am about to get my Volcano. Spazz sent me pics of it running, and I am super excited.

IMG_8147.jpg

The skimmer is being sent with 3 different venturis. Unlike prior Volcanos, the venturi on mine will be removable. I will be able to select the best performing venturi from the 3. Spazz is doing this so that customers can fine tune their skimmer's performance to their liking.

Brad

Back