This was an eye opener - cont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UN is not organized well enough to push a single political or economic ideology. Do I suspect the UN of having agendas? Of course, but you can't really expect people to take info from heartland on climate change with any degree of seriousness can you? They are not showing scientists on their website, but economists. Sometimes what makes economic sense and ecological sense are not going to be the same thing.

So when faced with a gallup poll you call it a lie because it doesn't fit with your view? Why do you say we KNOW there isn't agreement? I believe you are grasping at straws now.

That annoyingly long list of names I posted earlier are all contributers to the Heartland Institute. Yes they do employ economists to show how some of these climate proposals will affect working people. http://www.globalwarmingheartland.org/ A balance needs to be met between economic sense and ecological sense, unfortunately most GW alarmist don't care about economic sense. The world economy dropping out due to carbon taxes and carbon credits would be a much worse outcome than the effects of global warming.

I call the Gallup poll a lie because most polls are, and the Gallup poll doesn't jive with the average results of other polls. Gallup is known for asking questions in a certain way to get certain answers they're looking for. We know there isn't agreement because there are plenty of credible dissenting voices.

Versus: That's pretty funny.

Last edited:
That annoyingly long list of names I posted earlier are all contributers to the Heartland Institute. Yes they do employ economists to show how some of these climate proposals will affect working people. http://www.globalwarmingheartland.org/ A balance needs to be met between economic sense and ecological sense, unfortunately most GW alarmist don't care about economic sense. The world economy dropping out due to carbon taxes and carbon credits would be a much worse outcome than the effects of global warming.

I call the Gallup poll a lie because most polls are, and the Gallup poll doesn't jive with the average results of other polls. Gallup is known for asking questions in a certain way to get certain answers they're looking for. We know there isn't agreement because there are plenty of credible dissenting voices.

Versus: That's pretty funny.

It is not a science organization that examines economics, it is a economics organization that talks science. The Long list you had was what... 100, 150 people, of which less than half are climate scientists. It is mainly a list of economists, geoligists, physicists and other related fields. There are known experts in enviromental science as well (though some may call SInger more infamous). Even if that exhaustive list was all renowned climate scientists it could easily fall into the 3% of the poll Ninong produced. I find it odd that earlier you were brandishing polls produced by heartland and now calling most polls lies.

And if even the more conservative and less "alarmist" views are right the economic toll of climate change may well be far far worse than even the most poorly implemented carbon tax.

Dingo44,

I figured you might find those survey results pretty funny. I believe Gallup only surveyed the general public, not the scientists.

You can read about the survey of the scientists here.

Of the 3,146 scientists who participated in the survey, more than 90% had Ph.D.s and 7% had Masters Degrees; 90% were from U.S. institutions, 6% were from Canadian institutions and the remaining 4% were from institutions in 21 other nations. The most common areas of expertise reported were geochemistry (15.5%), geophysics (12%), and oceanography (10.5%). Approximately 5% of the respondents were climate scientists and 8.5% of the respondents indicated that more than 50% of their peer-reviewed publications in the past five years have been on the subject of climate change.

The survey was administered by a professional online survey site (www.questionpro.com).

Note that at the bottom of the graph it says that "the general public data come from a 2008 Gallup poll."

globalwarmingconcensus.jpg

Question: "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?"

Last edited:
The problem with your statement is that all of those emergent phenomenon say nothing about how accurate the models are at reproducing anthropogenic global warming. I guess we could say that the models would be great at predicting the locations of deserts on a newly discovered planet, but that is not how these models are being used.
Emergent phenomena are important for 2 big reasons. First is that they're a check on whether your the interactions in the model are realistic. By definition, they're a consequence of the interactions defined in the model. You would be extremely unlikely to get the complex interactions wrong and still end up with numerous realistic emergent phenomena. And keep in mind, temperature trends are another emergent process.

Second is that they constrain tuning of the models. The output of the models is tuned to better agree with the data. However, as you change the parameters to change the shape of the curve, it also affects the emergent phenomena due to the coupling. While you might get the model output to fit observed temperature trends better by changing a parameter like the sensitivity to CO2, you also change the output elsewhere in other process, possibly making the fit worse there. If I fit the average temperature curve better, but no longer get realistic precipitation patterns I probably haven't actually improved the skill of the model (though statistical tests will determine that).

I'd disagree. The path taken is important because a model can model path "A" accurately while being very poor at modeling path "B". Path "B" could have greatly different processes with different rates, different intermediates, different sinks, etc. If the model is only validated against data in which path "A" is at work, then the problems that the model has with path "B" will not be evident. Now if the conditions that favor path "B" are what we really care about, then the model would be doing a poor job of telling us meaningful information about the things we care about.
We seem to be talking in circles. The models naturally produce hysteresis. They're validated against past conditions which include both path "A" and path "B." The same models work for both paths. In fact, a decade before proxies showed the existence of path "A" with CO2 lagging temperature, it was predicted by models based on path "B."

All lab experiments must be based in physical reality, though sometimes the applicability of the experiement may be overstated. In the Miller-Urey experiment, they tested the hypothesis that complex organic molecules could be created under a specific set of conditions. That is all they proved. The assertion that this experiment demonstrates the mechanisms of the the abiotic origin of life is an overstatement and perhaps unrealistic.
Whether the significance is overstated is beside the point. The point is that there is no less requirement for models to be based in reality than lab experiments. There is no such thing as a model that is not based in reality. That would be a program, but not a model. Models are simplified abstractions of reality, but so are lab experiments.

I disagree. A model can never test a hypothesis that relates to a physical reality.
It's done all the time.

It's not a climate example, but one that immediately comes to mind was used in the case for making turtle excluder devices mandatory equipment. The trawlers argued that they were mainly removing old individuals and reducing density dependent mortality on younger turtles (which is sound in theory). In their minds, the reduction in turtle numbers was due to the reduced survival of juveniles due to beach development. Well, you can't stop trawling or beach development to run controlled tests, there's no historical data to use in a BACI tests, there's no practical way to isolate an undisturbed population of sea turtles, and you can't raise a population of turtles in the lab. Models are the only practical way to test whether trawling has a significant effect on turtle populations. Population models based on the real world data about turtle life-histories indicated that the population was fairly insensitive to changes in juvenile survival. However, even small changes in the survival of adults made a big difference in the population trajectory. There was no initial attempt to project actual turtle population numbers in the future.

It seems like you're trying to move the goalposts here. The original contention was that models are not scientific. We both agree that they can be used to make projections/predictions about a system based on observations. That's the first step in science. They can be and are also used to test hypotheses for which there is no practical way to test in the real world. You still seem to be hung up arguing about them having no basis in physical reality though, which is not the case. A program not based on reality isn't a model, and there is no way to validate it. I just grabbed a modeling textbook off of my shelf and the second sentence of the book is (emphasis added)- "Models are, by definition, simplified representations of reality." Yes, you can put unrealistic inputs into the model, but you can do the same with lab experiments (e.g. Miller-Urey).

If you are forced to use logic to constrain parameter values, that means that you have a poor understanding of that parameter.
Or that it's a value that is difficult to measure directly. I can tell you all about what a carrying capacity is and what it's determined by, and even though, it's a real value, it's a product of multiple factors, so I can't just go out with carrying-capacityometer and get a value for it. I can try to identify and measure every environmental and demographic process that determines what it is, or I can use logic and relationships to constrain it. It's easier and usually more accurate to infer the carrying capacity from measurements of other parameters.

All of these models are used by chemists with the complete understanding that they are all wrong.
All models in every field are used with the complete understanding that they are all wrong! There is a reason you learn the models in school though. That's because they are USEFUL, even if they're wrong. Newtonian physics is wrong too, but unless you're traveling close to the speed of light, it's useful for most applications.

In more advanced chemistry classes, professors nearly always make it very clear the problems, limitations, and useful range of the models.

This is something that is poorly understood in climate modeling and also very poorly communicated by the climatologists.
Read the actual climatology literature. You're complaint isn't borne out. They are quite clear about where more data is needed, where the models are unreliable, and how far out the projections can be trusted. There is an entire section in the IPCC reports dedicated to that discussion.

Truth is that CO2 is a rarity when it comes to molecules in the atmosphere
Yes, and absolute concentration has little relevance to the relative effect or of the effect in changing the concentration.

the temperature probes are increasingly in areas that act as heat islands,
All of the major monitoring agencies make corrections to land-based data for UHI. There are also lines of data from radiosondes, satellites, ship-based measurements, phenologic measurements, and ocean temperature measurements that all agree that the land-based trend is real.

Furthermore, NOAA compared the North American land record to the record from only those which Anthony Watts characterized as well-cited. The result was no significant difference.

The idea that it's all just a measurement error is a non-starter.

I think the problem with this thread is both sides are 100% convinced there side is right and thinks the other side is a looney that isn't looking at plain facts.
I'm actually 100% sure that I'm wrong on many respects. However, there are a important points that are beyond reasonable doubt at this point. One is that the planet's temperature has increased significantly in the past 200 years. There are multiple independent lines of measurement that confirm this. Then there is the fact that CO2 is a significant greenhouse gas. This has been known for well over 100 years and has been repeatedly confirmed in laboratory testing. Third is the fact that CO2 has significantly increased in the past 50 years. We have significantly increased fossil fuel use since the industrial revolution. Finally, the isotopic composition of atmospheric CO2 has changed markedly since 1890, consistent with a fingerprint of CO2 derived from fossil fuel use, which again is confirmed by multiple lines of evidence.

A large portion of deniers ARE loons who simply will not look at fact. That is why you still here memes like volcanoes producing more CO2 than humans or that the whole thing is based on correlation. There is simply no excuse to look at the facts and still make those assertions.

Some of them on the other hand, look at the facts, but don't look at the context. For example they show a graph of temperature trends and solar activity and argue that they seem to be correlated so it must be the sun. However, they don't address the fact that the correlation only holds true in the troposphere, and it's reversed in the stratosphere. They ignore the fact that the latter observation is inconsistent with their conclusion, and that neither is inconsistent with the consensus view. Generally, there's a lack of parsimony in their reasoning.

Then there are some who look at the facts and simply have no clue what to make of them (or lie about what they mean). They're the ones that can look at a graph of temperature with a significant increase and tell you that it has decreased or flattened.

Then there are some who are reasonable, but think we should react differently. I certainly don't claim a monopoly on the answer there.

No, thats just garbage science thats been pushed within the past decade. Before that we had this thing called atmosphere comprised of gases, vapor, etc hich let us retain heat/humidity. In fact, our rather sedate temperature swings is mainly due to water. CO2 hold no specific property to retain heat. Water vapor retains magnitudes more then CO2 ever will.
Um, no Jim. That's science that's been tested numerous times over the past 120 years with roughly the same result. We've known for 150 years that the planet would be frozen solid without a greenhouse effect. We've known for 120 years that CO2 is a significant contributor to that effect and the experimentally derived value of that contribution has been roughly unchanged over that time.

Yes, water is the biggest contributor to the greenhouse effect. However, that has nothing to do with the change in relative effect. Graph for us the change in atmospheric water vs atmospheric CO2 and then come back to us and explain how your results point to water as the cause of warming.

Link? I have heard of no such studies.
This one is 120 years old and the value determined is still close to the more recently derived value. http://www.globalwarmingart.com/images/1/18/Arrhenius.pdf
There have been numerous studies using different methods since then.

Jim and Stu, I think both of you would really benefit from two books. "The Discovery of Global Warming" by Spencer Weart is a good one. It's basically a history of how we know what we know and how long we've known it. He does a good job of talking about how scientists have resolved disagreements as new data is gathered. There is a free online version, but the organization of the website makes it a bit hard to use. The book itself is a pretty easy read though, regardless of your level of understanding. http://www.aip.org/history/climate/

Also, "Two-Mile Time Machine" by Richard Alley. The author is a climatologist working on ice cores. He does an excellent job of explaining what proxies tell us about the past and he makes it easy to understand. He's also not pushing for action or really making any predictions about what the future will hold. He's just pointing out what happened in the past, how we know about it, and trying to put it into some context. Stu, you in particular seem to be very interested in variations in the past, so I think this book would be useful for you.

Link to which studies? That CO2 is a greenhouse gas in experimental data? Or that Obesity, sedentary lifestyle and smoking are linked to heart disease?

Yes, any actual study with data that shows CO2 is several million times more potent then water vapor for heat retention is a plus.

Um, no Jim. That's science that's been tested numerous times over the past 120 years with roughly the same result. We've known for 150 years that the planet would be frozen solid without a greenhouse effect. We've known for 120 years that CO2 is a significant contributor to that effect and the experimentally derived value of that contribution has been roughly unchanged over that time.

Yes, water is the biggest contributor to the greenhouse effect. However, that has nothing to do with the change in relative effect. Graph for us the change in atmospheric water vs atmospheric CO2 and then come back to us and explain how your results point to water as the cause of warming.

This one is 120 years old and the value determined is still close to the more recently derived value. http://www.globalwarmingart.com/images/1/18/Arrhenius.pdf
There have been numerous studies using different methods since then.

Dear lord dude, link to something other then "globalwarmingart" would be my first suggestion. Its about as reliable as me taking "Medication X is the best ever, study done by its creators" credibly.

Secondly, the study you link itself says that he can't quantify his theory.

Third, he is talking about Carbonic Acid, not CO2.

Fourth, we already know that the earths atmosphere traps heat giving off the rather misnomer "greenhouse effect". This isn't anything new.

Fifth, every study with long term climatological data shows other periods of high temperatures and we're actually in a cool zone as far as historical climates are concerned.

The best answer for CO2 being a greenhouse gas is its reflection of IR radiation back into the atmosphere. However, it is neither a significantly contributing factor nor is it an abundant molecule.

Yes, any actual study with data that shows CO2 is several million times more potent then water vapor for heat retention is a plus.

That isn't even close to what I said. The statement is that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. I never said it was as effective as H20 at trapping heat. Are you denying that it is a greenhouse gas ? I think that is pretty well established. But if you really want me to dig up a link to find you some high school level understanding I can do that.

Could you link a site that elaborates on water vapor concentration in the past? I haven't really come across any, they all seem to concentrate on CO2.

Could you link a site that elaborates on water vapor concentration in the past? I haven't really come across any, they all seem to concentrate on CO2.

I could be wrong about this but I think that since H20 exists as a solid liquid and gas all within normal earth temps and pressures it has a base and ceiling in place. I'm not sure if there was a time that water vapor concentrations were higher on average or even how one could go about estimating that.

because i see some realy well reasoned responses from certain members, i would like to rephrase the question that no nay sayer has yet to be able to answer for me.

please name one scientific orghanisation on par with the nas and aaas that believes global warming is a hoax? you guys do a great job of listing individual scientist, but i want a big beefy sheapards pie full of thousands of scientist all compiled into one. and please try to keep the biasies to a minimum...

...with much thanks, tommy.

because i see some realy well reasoned responses from certain members, i would like to rephrase the question that no nay sayer has yet to be able to answer for me.

please name one scientific orghanisation on par with the nas and aaas that believes global warming is a hoax? you guys do a great job of listing individual scientist, but i want a big beefy sheapards pie full of thousands of scientist all compiled into one. and please try to keep the biasies to a minimum...

...with much thanks, tommy.

Hoax, no.

The debate is about Global Warming: a) Being because of man (MMGW), b) Is a bad thing.

Why would there be any study suggesting that and how would it be relevant to the questions at hand anyway?

Dear lord dude, link to something other then "globalwarmingart" would be my first suggestion. Its about as reliable as me taking "Medication X is the best ever, study done by its creators" credibly.
Jim, did you actually follow the link or just dismiss it based on the URL? It's a pdf reprint of an article from Philosophical Magazine, the world's oldest scientific journal. Global warming art is just the host site, they did not write the information. If it makes you feel better, you can get the same exact paper through Google or half a dozen other hosts- http://books.google.com/books?id=k1...ir upon the temperature of the ground&f=false

Secondly, the study you link itself says that he can't quantify his theory.
Again, did you even go to the link? The whole paper is about quantifying the greenhouse effect of CO2. He comes up with a value of 4.9-6.1 deg C per doubling CO2 on p264. From page 265- "I have calculated the mean alteration of temperature that would follow if the quantity of carbonic acid varied from its present mean value (K=1) to another, viz. to K=0.67, 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3 respectively. This calculation is made for every tenth parallel, and separately for the four seasons of the year."

Where do you see any suggestion that he can't quantify his work?

Third, he is talking about Carbonic Acid, not CO2.
Carbonic acid is the aqueous form of CO2. Given that he is talking about "carbonic acid gas" in the air, which he mentions is added to the air via combustion and removed by photosynthesis, it's pretty clear that he's talking about the gaseous form of carbonic acid that is a product of combustion and used in photosynthesis- CO2(g).

Fourth, we already know that the earths atmosphere traps heat giving off the rather misnomer "greenhouse effect". This isn't anything new.
Then why did you brush off Bill's comment as "garbage science" from the past decade and argue that CO2 has no capacity to retain heat?

Fifth, every study with long term climatological data shows other periods of high temperatures and we're actually in a cool zone as far as historical climates are concerned.
And AGAIN, this is not news to anyone and it's largely irrelevant to the question about our impacts and the consequences. There were times in Earth's past when all fires were due to natural causes too. Does that mean that if I douse my neighbor's house in gas and toss in a match I'm not responsible and they won't suffer? Not even close.

Whether or not the current warming trend is a problem for us depends on the temperatures that our infrastructure was designed around, not the temperature when the dinosaurs roamed the planet.

The best answer for CO2 being a greenhouse gas is its reflection of IR radiation back into the atmosphere.
There are multiple lines of evidence that confirm that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. There are satellite time-series measuring the change in the amount of energy being re-radiated back into space from the Earth in the CO2 spectrum. There are lab tests of the absorption and re-emission of light through gas. There is Arrhenius' method. You can even just take the temperature of sealed vessels filled with atmospheric air and CO2 under bright lighting to make a crude measurement.

However, it is neither a significantly contributing factor
That's a pretty big claim which goes against numerous published papers. It's time to put up or shut up.

nor is it an abundant molecule.
Which again is irrelevant. A molecules impact is not linearly dependent on it's total abundance.

Calcium in your reef tank is roughly as abundant in the water as CO2 is in air. Go ahead and change that concentration by 30% and see how insignificant that effect is on the tank inhabitants.

Dare to add copper to the tank at concentrations of just a few ppm? After all, it would still be very rare, so it couldn't have any significant effect right?

I haven't really come across any, they all seem to concentrate on CO2.
There is a reason for that. CO2 is a forcing and feedback, H20 is only a feedback. As long as the temperature stays the same you can't increase the average global humidity significantly because the excess water rains out. It can only increase after temperature has already increased the saturation point of the air. That makes it very hard for it to be a cause of a warming trend since it necessarily comes after the warming.

In any event, you can find time series and trends of water vapor here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041016155556/http://www.cmdl.noaa.gov/ozone.html
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/publications/annrpt24/416.htm

Sorry guys, but its kinda long-winded.

Emergent phenomena are important for 2 big reasons. First is that they're a check on whether your the interactions in the model are realistic. By definition, they're a consequence of the interactions defined in the model. You would be extremely unlikely to get the complex interactions wrong and still end up with numerous realistic emergent phenomena. And keep in mind, temperature trends are another emergent process.

Second is that they constrain tuning of the models. The output of the models is tuned to better agree with the data. However, as you change the parameters to change the shape of the curve, it also affects the emergent phenomena due to the coupling. While you might get the model output to fit observed temperature trends better by changing a parameter like the sensitivity to CO2, you also change the output elsewhere in other process, possibly making the fit worse there. If I fit the average temperature curve better, but no longer get realistic precipitation patterns I probably haven't actually improved the skill of the model (though statistical tests will determine that).

I guess we will never agree on this. It just doesn't make any sense to me that you are using accurate modeling of some aspects of emergent phenomenon as a justification for how these climate models must be able to accurately reproduce ANY phenomenon relating to climate. As a point of agreement and from a modeling perspective, yes, the abilities of these models are impressive, but there are so many systems, pathways, and interactions that aren't included in these models. We are, literally, learning everyday about new things that have been ignored in these models and their significance.

What if it is possible to recreate much of the emergent phenomenon if only submodel A,B, & C are included, but to accurately model the systems that come into play in the case of anthropogenic warming you need submodel D which has, as yet, not been included in the greater climate model? My point is that there exist systems that may not be needed to recreate much of the emergent phenonmenon, but they may play an integral role in the case of anthropogenic warming.

We seem to be talking in circles. The models naturally produce hysteresis. They're validated against past conditions which include both path "A" and path "B." The same models work for both paths. In fact, a decade before proxies showed the existence of path "A" with CO2 lagging temperature, it was predicted by models based on path "B."

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to as path A and path B now. I was using those pathways as hypotheticals, not anything specifically. I assume you mean path B to mean anthropogenic warming. In what way are the current climate models based around path B (anthropogenic) when they are validated against and tweaked to fit prehistoric climate proxies?

Whether the significance is overstated is beside the point. The point is that there is no less requirement for models to be based in reality than lab experiments. There is no such thing as a model that is not based in reality. That would be a program, but not a model. Models are simplified abstractions of reality, but so are lab experiments.

Again, I disagree. There are a ton of models produced that have little to no basis in reality. A hot topic in physics right now is String theory. It should actually be called "String Model" in my opinion, because, as yet, it has no basis in reality and no testable predictions/hypotheses. Physicists are interested in it because it is mathematically "elegant", not because it has revealed something new about nature.

It's done all the time.

It's not a climate example, but one that immediately comes to mind was used in the case for making turtle excluder devices mandatory equipment. The trawlers argued that they were mainly removing old individuals and reducing density dependent mortality on younger turtles (which is sound in theory). In their minds, the reduction in turtle numbers was due to the reduced survival of juveniles due to beach development. Well, you can't stop trawling or beach development to run controlled tests, there's no historical data to use in a BACI tests, there's no practical way to isolate an undisturbed population of sea turtles, and you can't raise a population of turtles in the lab. Models are the only practical way to test whether trawling has a significant effect on turtle populations. Population models based on the real world data about turtle life-histories indicated that the population was fairly insensitive to changes in juvenile survival. However, even small changes in the survival of adults made a big difference in the population trajectory. There was no initial attempt to project actual turtle population numbers in the future.

That turtle model did NOT test the hypothesis. It was useful and insightful, but it did not test the hypothesis. Did the model somehow force nature to obey it's results? The only thing that could test the hypothesis is to actually monitor trends in the turtle population. I don't want to be rude, but you ought to review the tenets of the Scientific Method.

Some form of observation or experiment is an ABSOLUTE necessity in testing a hypothesis. Einstein predicted that star light passing very near the sun should be observed to be bent by the gravitaional field of the sun during a solar eclipse. That prediction didn't support the theory until it was actually tested by observation. The theory/model cannot simply support itself with it's own predictions.

It seems like you're trying to move the goalposts here. The original contention was that models are not scientific. We both agree that they can be used to make projections/predictions about a system based on observations. That's the first step in science. They can be and are also used to test hypotheses for which there is no practical way to test in the real world. You still seem to be hung up arguing about them having no basis in physical reality though, which is not the case. A program not based on reality isn't a model, and there is no way to validate it. I just grabbed a modeling textbook off of my shelf and the second sentence of the book is (emphasis added)- "Models are, by definition, simplified representations of reality." Yes, you can put unrealistic inputs into the model, but you can do the same with lab experiments (e.g. Miller-Urey).

Not moving goalposts. Models are not scientific in that they have no ability to test a hypothesis.

I think you might be misinterpreting what I mean when I say that they aren't required to have a "basis" in physical reality. Perhaps, I worded it poorly. I guess I should have said that models do not have to actually be faithful to reality. In my previous example with String theory, we have a model that requires 11 dimensions for which we have no evidence. Are there really 11 dimensions? We don't know. It is an intersting prediction, but it is currently untestable and may actually never be able to be tested due to the very laws of physics that it seeks to explain.

In medicine/toxicology, there are pharmacokinetic models that treat the body as a series of distinct compartments and defined sets of rules for how the compartments interact. Should we start performing surgeries to look for shoe box-like compartments inside of people? Of course not, they are just mathematical abstractions. Do the rules set forth on how the compartment interact actually represent all the complexity of the real human body? Not by a long shot. These models are useful, but like all models, they have a finite range of usefulness. They are good at toying with to providing insights into the utility of drug, they wouldn't be useful as the sole means to treat a patient walking into a doctor's office.

Lets say that I had a pharmacokinetic model for Penicillin. I am a doctor and I used a pharmacokinetic model to try to determine the effectiveness of using a particular dose regiment on a patient that just came into my office with bronchitis. I calculate the effectiveness using the model and it seems that the normal dose regiment would be effective. So, I go ahead an administer the Penicillin. After recieving the medicine, the patient goes into anaphylactic shock. What went wrong here? My model said the patient should be improving, not getting worse. The problem is that the model didn't include processes or inputs that address the possibility of allergic reactions.

I see climate modeling much like my hypothetical doctor's office visit. We are relying on models that may or may not include all relevant processes, to determine a "treatment" for the global warming "illness".

Again, with the Miller-Urey experiments, the inputs were not unrealistic. Nothing about the experiment was unrealistic. The experiments only showed that organic molecules could be created under a specific set of conditions. That is not to say that the interpretation of these experiments or the viewpoints imposed upon them might be unrealistic. The experiment itself can, in no way, be considered unrealistic. The experiments happened in reality and therefore would have to be realistic.

Or that it's a value that is difficult to measure directly. I can tell you all about what a carrying capacity is and what it's determined by, and even though, it's a real value, it's a product of multiple factors, so I can't just go out with carrying-capacityometer and get a value for it. I can try to identify and measure every environmental and demographic process that determines what it is, or I can use logic and relationships to constrain it. It's easier and usually more accurate to infer the carrying capacity from measurements of other parameters.

I would say that the "carrying capacity", as you have described it is, in fact, not "real". It is a mathematical abstraction and hence cannot be measured. If you can calculate the carrying capacity without making any assumptions about the processes that contribute to the carrying capacity or assumptions any of the values of the factors that define the carrying capacity, then you probably have a decent understanding of what the carrying capacity is and what it means (again, as a mathematical abstraction).

On the other hand, if you were forced to make assumptions about the value of carrying capacity, which processes affect the carrying capacity, or the values of the factors that comprise the carrying capacity, then you probably have an inadequate understanding of the carrying capacity because you do not have the data to provide values for the factors/processes that define the carrying capacity as a mathematical abstraction.

All models in every field are used with the complete understanding that they are all wrong! There is a reason you learn the models in school though. That's because they are USEFUL, even if they're wrong. Newtonian physics is wrong too, but unless you're traveling close to the speed of light, it's useful for most applications.

Agreed, but with the caveat that the models are only useful under a certain range of conditions. Knowing what the range of conditions for which the models are useful is quite possibly the most important part of modeling.

Read the actual climatology literature. You're complaint isn't borne out. They are quite clear about where more data is needed, where the models are unreliable, and how far out the projections can be trusted. There is an entire section in the IPCC reports dedicated to that discussion.

I have been reading as much of the climatology literature as I can find time for recently. This seems to just be a difference of opinion. I personally feel that documentation of the model's shortcomings is inadequate or underemphasized. If I remember correctly, this is in congruence with the comments of many of the reviewers of the IPCC documents. Part of the issue is that much of the climatology literature is published in scientific journals with the unspoken understanding that other climatologists who are already familiar with much of the models' shortcomings will be reading the journals. Hence, many of the articles do not go into the gory details of the shortcomings and the range of usefulness.

Scott

Here are some links that explain a little about how CO2 absorbs/radiates heat.

They both say the IPCC estimates are WAY off. I know they are old, but still interesting reads:

http://www.john-daly.com/artifact.htm

Here's a quote:

"the absorption ( of atmospheric CO2 ) is 0.054 W/m2 - and not 4.3 W/m2. This is roughly 80 times less than IPCC's radiative forcing."

Some of the most interesting tidbits can be found in the responses to Dr. Hug's paper

http://www.john-daly.com/zipfiles/hugdebat.zip

Here's a quote from Peter Dietze in the responses :

"To me it seems obscure that IPCC has not documented all about their radiative model - for years we are trying in vain to get a proper basic paper from adequate members of the community. Their practice was to hide model details and create scientific facts and majority consensus by repeated quotation of results that originally have been based on assertions, assumptions and widely spread remarks in hardly accessible literature. The same holds for their carbon cycle: I never saw how they have converted the emission scenarios into future CO2 concentrations (in SAR chapter 11 their knowledge seems so poor that any proper calculation deems impossible). I got the impression, radiative warming is rather based on myths than on proved (and published) solid physics backed by near-ground measurements. So I appreciate that you are preparing such a paper though I think your approach is erroneous."

And this is interesting:

"IPCC's Most Essential Model Errors"

http://www.john-daly.com/forcing/moderr.htm

"Solar impacts
Taking into account the impact of solar variability on global warming, best fit studies have revealed that solar forcing is amplified by at least a factor 4. By leaving out this 'Svensmark factor' and using an exaggerated aerosol cooling, IPCC maintains a CO2 doubling sensitivity of 2.5 °C that is about a factor 3 too high.

Carbon cycle
Our global Carbon Cycle Model reveals a half-life time of only 38 years for any CO2 excess. With present constant global CO2 emission until 2100, the temperature would only further increase by 0.15 °C. Scenario IS92a would end up with 571 ppm only. IPCC assumed that far more fossil reserves would be burnt than being available. Using a flawed eddy diffusion ocean model, the IPCC has grossly underestimated the future oceanic CO2 uptake. Hardly coping with biomass response, limited fossil reserves and using a factor 4 temperature sensitivity, all this leads to an IPCC exaggeration factor of about 6 in yr 2100. The usable fossil reserves of 1300 GtC burnt by 2090, merely cause 548 ppm – not even a doubling. The WRE 650, 750 and 1000 ppm scenarios, projected until 2300, are infeasible. Emission reduction is absolutely useless: the realistic temperature effect of Kyoto till 2050 will be only 0.02 °C.

Radiative forcing
The additional IR absorption (being evaluated here for CO2 doubling) is the energy source for global warming. HITRAN transmission spectra – the fringes being by no means saturated yet – can be used to compute this absorption, mostly occurring near ground. A simple radiative energy equilibrium model of the troposphere yields an IPCC-conforming radiative forcing which is here defined as the additional energy re-radiated to ground. Coping with water vapor overlap on the low frequency side of the 15 µm band, the clear sky CO2 forcing is considerably reduced to 1.9 W/m². With vapor feedback and for cloudy sky the equilibrium ground warming will be about 0.4 to 0.6 °C only – a factor 4 to 6 less than IPCC's 'best guess' for CO2 doubling."

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back