Thoughts on how to switch tanks

my tropic eden reef flakes claim 3.5mm and they blow around in a 27" deep tank with mp40's at 90%. I've always read crushed coral traps detritus and is bad but have no experience with it.

I have fiji now and with the 2 mp 40's i have an issue unless i have the powerheads high in the tank. My new tank will only be 21 inches high, so im thinking special grade.

You might want to consider Tropic Eden Reefflakes. Only a few places carry it, Premium Aquatics for one. I just put it my 57gal. I think its really nice. They also have a mininflake. I used 1/2 miniflake and 1/2 reefflake. To be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't use the miniflake. Just something new to consider while your starting out fresh. I used a little sand from my 45gal which I am replacing to help seed the tank.

I just did the same thing. I moved my 72 bow six feet to the side and removed all the sand and all the base rock. Put all the base rock in my 55 gal sump/fuge and keep it running the whole time. Once new tank was in place and plumbed, I filled with water, matched temp and ph, and fired it over to get the system mixing again. Then pulled the base rock out of sump, and placed in new tank. Old tank still running with the majority of my rock and sps. Now I just wait:headwally: oh and I opted for bare bottom after moving old sand - pita, and never again lol.

I decided to go with the special grade, its a little bigger. Now the question is do i go live sand or dry. I've seen that the "live" really isnt live on some forums. If i put about 5-10lbs of old sand in with new dry sand would that work?

I decided to go with the special grade, its a little bigger. Now the question is do i go live sand or dry. I've seen that the "live" really isnt live on some forums. If i put about 5-10lbs of old sand in with new dry sand would that work?

Yep. All you need is all new and some live rock. Same difference just need to wait it out is all. Good luck

I just did a tank move. Used too much, inadequately washed sand and tank is going thru a mini cycle. No fish deaths, but a few of my LPS have croaked. Either wash the heck out of your original sand or use new.

Back