Time for another snail ID

4218kris

i believe its a type of nassarius snail

006.jpg

008.jpg

Little out of my realm but I am thinking cowry of some sort judging on the shell. Not 100% plus been drinking so heck I may be WAY off. ;)

yea, it does kinda look like a cowrie. i thought i got it when i ordered some nano conches but, it doent look like the other 40 or so nano conches.

I dunno. It has a shiny shell like a cowry, but I don't see any of the mantle expanding over the shell. That tentacle-mouth is pure Nassarius, but the shell doesn't look like any Nassarius I've seen. Just for fun, I'll throw my vote in with the conch crowd.

QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15413532#post15413532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pagojoe
Nah, it's a marginellid, which does have a mantle like a cowry. They are predator/scavengers, and will feed on meaty leftovers as well as sometimes killing other tiny animals in your tank. Yours likes a bit elongated to be Prunum apicinum, but I think that's what it probably is anyway.

http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/TN_Family_MARGINELLIDAE_MARGINELLINAE_PRUNINI.shtml

Cheers,

Don
[/QUOTE]

Back