Tiny Problem..

Staaan

The Maaan
So my tiny problem...

So as some of you may know (or for those that don't) I have a 46g Bowfront.

It wasn't "Reef-Ready" so I drilled, installed bulkheads, etc.

The tank as been running now for 2 months... and before setting it up I entirely forgot to put a background and/or didn't realize that putting one on will be much harder when the bulkheads/plumbing are in place..

So what to do?

Initial idea which will probably be pretty difficult was to go purchase some black poster board and cut slits and holes into it so I can slide it up into the 2 drains & return. Probably not even worth the effort... lol.

Second idea - Get some paint brushes/rollers and paint the back glass black.
Problems with this idea - Fumes from paint some how disturb my reef? Was planning on just totally covering the tank before starting.

Has anyone painted the back of their tank while it has already been running?
Any specific black paint to use?

Any other ideas?

I just can't stand to look through the tank at the wall behind the tank and see all the wires from my LED fixture/powerhead/etc. :(

I think they sell paint at the LFS that you can apply after the tank is already up. If you want you can go to the Hardware store and get Low or No VOC's paint that has no harmful Fumes but it is high dollar stuff.
Bill

Thanks Bill!
Sounds good... I don't think I've ever seen any paint being sold at an LFS... but then again I was never looking for it either haha.

I'll check out some LFS by me.. if not I'll go by Home Depot or Ace Hardware..

any acryclic paint will do as long as it's not oil based. I've done it a few times you will need to do several coats.

Before painting I would try the black vinyl they sell just put a slit where the bulkheads are, and squegee out the bubbles, this way if you dont like it you can always change it.

I had the reef club over and a young member noticed my new tank did not have a background or paint, I told him i didnt care that it would get coraline soon enough. This kid told me to come to his work and he would hook me up with some non toxic paint that he painted the backs of his tanks with.... turns out the guy works in a hydroponic place attached to a headshop.

I used the paint which is very reflective and as promised it reflected tons of light back into my aquarium. I am actually quite pleased with it. So if you are so inclined......

I had the reef club over and a young member noticed my new tank did not have a background or paint, I told him i didnt care that it would get coraline soon enough. This kid told me to come to his work and he would hook me up with some non toxic paint that he painted the backs of his tanks with.... turns out the guy works in a hydroponic place attached to a headshop.

I used the paint which is very reflective and as promised it reflected tons of light back into my aquarium. I am actually quite pleased with it. So if you are so inclined......

Thanks for the info badvegan...

Going to look around this weekend.

You can go to a wall-mart or other big box store and get window tent and apply it yourself. ( you can get the car kind but they also make a kind for your home window to block out the sun) The home window kind you can get darker then the window tent. My buddy works for a LFS and when they set up tanks for people that is what they use. Looks really good you can get some dark stuff and not see though it at all. Just an idea.

staaaaaan choose carefully, if its a color that is reflective of other colors (for instance blue reflects yellow pretty easily) any territorial fish will become engrossed by its reflection and will literally spend all day fighting its self. This happened to me therefore i use no background, now i have Coraline all over the back so there is very little glass exposed. oh and from my experience they dont learn to live with it...my clowns are constantly fighting themselves..and ive had them for over a year now. The only fishes that arent bothered by their reflection is the naso and the angels, however both species are extremely peaceful, and passive.

I wouldn't do blue... wanted blue at one point.. but when I got more into corals.. I realized it takes away from the coral's color.

Anyway.. I took a real good luck at my tank just now... and even if I can move it away from the wall so paint it, it is going to be a pretty challenging task. I think I'm going to stick to the oaktag I bought for now... and if it doesn't work out I'll try painting... or maybe I'll just leave it and hope for coraline.. lol.

one more thing; coraline is free, and it will happen regardless of whether you use a background or not, plus its a byproduct of good husbandry :beer: a "win, win" if you ask me

Back