tips, tricks and techiques for painting back of tank.

Devaji108

seams pretty simple of a task, but have you guys and gals have any tips for me? like:
what's the best type of tape to use?
do you cover the sides?
brush or roller?
spray paint or gloss or flat?

anything else your have too...
cheers

newspaper under the tank on the floor. Painters tape on the edges of the tank, half the tape on the edge of the glass, half of it on newspaper big enough that it overhangs the glass pieces you don't want paint on. Then get into a well-ventilated dust free room. Give it 2-3 coats of spray paint, usually I put 1 light coat on every 2 hours or so. Let dry overnight and you are done. It's pretty simple. Just remember to keep the can moving when spraying and don't let the paint clump up in one spot.

newspaper under the tank on the floor. Painters tape on the edges of the tank, half the tape on the edge of the glass, half of it on newspaper big enough that it overhangs the glass pieces you don't want paint on. Then get into a well-ventilated dust free room. Give it 2-3 coats of spray paint, usually I put 1 light coat on every 2 hours or so. Let dry overnight and you are done. It's pretty simple. Just remember to keep the can moving when spraying and don't let the paint clump up in one spot.
+1 to this, several smaller coats will cover it a bit more evenly, and hold up a lot longer.

It's only necessary to wait about 20 minutes between coats with spray paint though.

I did mine with latex and a fine knap roller

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Did my 90 with spray paint, messy, smelly and took a ton of coats. Did my 210 with a small trim roller, about 2 bucks from lowes. Took two coats, did it inside, no mess, far less smell, nice coat.

+1 roller!

Home depot has the little paint sample for like $5. Pick ur color and they mix it up.
One sample did my 75

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I even used a combo of roll on 2 get the coverage and then for the last one do the spray... gave it a look like it had been sprayed w/o the expense of all the krylon spray($8-$9) it really adds up...

ok looks like I am going to try the foam roller or brush if I cant find it..I live in a small town no HD or lows... and a sample of black paint.

Back