Tonga Ban

And there you have it. Whether I buy Bubba's frag or Walt's wild farmed coral, I am not saving (or destroying) the reefs of the world. And I didn't even have to go to Tonga to figure that out ;) .

Walt - just got the pm now...sorry. Again, I think it basically comes down to those that know the situation and those that think they know the situation. Until you see it firsthand and know the situation, it is best not to speak out of emotion at all.

It's tough to think long term and renewable/environmental when we're all trying to put food on the table.

I don't want to say more - I don't even know where to start in this thread! lol... but I do agree with Greenbean. I think Walt Smith should hire him =)

Tagging along.

One thing I'll say - not that it's a contribution but instead just an observation - is that people in general are selfish, and because of that, most often short sighted. Apathy has it's root in laziness, and there's apparently plenty of that to go around.

Humans have the ability to make conscious choices. Matters of integrity and ethics are fought hard by selfishness (greed), laziness and - IMO - a lack of higher intelligence.

Doing the right thing is always costly in one way or another. Often, that price is high, whether it's higher prices for our livestock/product, or saving a few bucks at Wal-Mart, it's all a choice.

It's how much we value integrity that is at issue, IMO. And unfortunately not something we will deal with here.

"Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is looking."

I've enjoyed this discourse. I look forward to more...

Yes, this discussion could go on forever without solving the world's problems. On the other hand, discussions like this are slowly but surely giving hobbyists more information about the supply side of the hobby. When our knowledge of corals extends no farther than a tank at the LFS, we don't know what to think of the Sustainably Harvested/Aquacultured/Maricultured tags on the glass.

Marine aquarium supply sounds like a cut-throat business. From what we hear on boards like this, when the players aren't stabbing each other in the back, they're dealing with potentially-corrupt government officials in Third World countries. Surely, though, this isn't the only competitive international export business in the world. Have any of the others matured into well-mannered, law-abiding industries? If so, maybe there's something to be learned from them.

Back