Too BIG of a SUMP??? Is there a such thing?

Hey Folks,

I'm slowly building a 45 gallon tank...and I need a sump for the tank.

I found a local reefer selling a Berlin BS-2 Sump:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Berlin_S..._Units-Berlin_Sump-BS1K-FIFRBSCU-BS2K-vi.html

It's a good price...and I'm thinking of buying this for my 45 gallon. I noticed it said it's for tanks "up to" 250 gallons. Is there a reason I should go with a smaller sump?

Are there negatives to having a sump that's extremely large? I figured the bigger the better...but I thought I'll ask.

Thanks,

A bigger sump would mean more water. More water would mean the tank will be more stable. Just keep in mind the fact that you need to move, heat, and filter all that water. Both in equipment costs and electrical costs.

Honestly, I think those are small, overpriced sumps. I prefer to buy a used tank and divide it myself. I also have a large rubbermaid container with a deep sand bed and macro that feeds to my sumps return pump. If you can cover the cost of heating, cooling, pumping, etc, I say go as big as you can.

The bigger the better in my book... as was said above, more volume = more stability. I had a 90 gallon sump on my 120 gallon display before, now I'm using a 50 gallon breeder on my new 120 (would've went bigger if I had the room).

I agree with jade. If you mean a good price relative to the price of a new one, you should compare it to the price of getting a used tank before you decide on whether it's a good price or not. As far as size, yep, go with the biggest one you can afford to maintain and have space for.

My personal opinion is that aside from the literal monetary costs of operations, more water that is without locally-fed livestock, is always better. I would venture to say that external biological filtration methods in the form of refugium, RDSB, LR rubble, etc. etc, ideally should be at least twice the volume of the DT. That said, it isn't practical as far a space and money go for most, so other means are effectively implemented. People heavily skim, carbon dose, ATS, water change, use media reactors etc. and accomplish the same thing.

If you have the room and money, go for it, though a custom sump is very easily made from a tank as stated above.

Actually, your sump only needs to be big enough to hold any equipment (exa. skimmer) that you intend to use, and also be able to contain the extra overflow water during a power outage. That being said, your refugium, either integral to the sump or stand alone, should be as big as possible, especially if you want to achieve a self sustaining system. Yes, you will have to heat it and move the water, but a larger system is a lot more forgiving in the event something goes wrong.

I agree that more volume is great. But.. there's always a but... Detritus settles out when the water slows in an large sump. This can cause nutrient problems. If you decide on a big sump, consider a method to remove the detritus.

Back