Too hasty with my BTA?

zoomin

I pulled my BTA out of the tank this morning believing it dead and fearing it might 'nuke' the other inabitants.

I got it on 5 days ago from the LFS. It took firm hold on LR and was feeding immediately.

Yesterday, it didn't open up that much, and had a small patch of tentacles that were almost black and very small/deflated. This small patch of sickly-looking tentacles rotated around sowly through the day so that it was never in the same place - almost like the hand on a clock. It still readily accepted food though.

Last night it was normal looking; closed but the tentacles were full. This morning, I watched as its mouth started to gape and spew some dark brown, black stuff. It gradually deflated all its tentacles and its mouth gaped open fully so that all that was left was its foot, a small fringe of deflated, black tentacles, and a big hole in the middle with more browny-black stuff spewing out.

I have heard that dying anemones can release toxins into the tank, so I quickly pried it from the LR with a chopstick and removed it.

I don't have a quarantine tank, and am now wishing that I at least mixed up some water to see i there was hope, but it eneded up in the toilet :(

Was I too hasty? Was it just distressed but still alive?

My tank levels all appear normal, so I am unsure what might have caused this.

32 Gallon M-Tank
2x55W PC

2 Ocellaris clowns
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
4 necarrius snails
4 astrea snails
3 hitchiker (serpent?) stars (2 tiny, one small)
2 small hitchiker crabs.

1 four-headed frogspawn
1 white bubble coral.

Temp: 80-81
PH: 8.1

Ammonia: 0
Nitate: 0
Nitrite:0
Phospate:0
Salinity: 1.025

The tank is 3 months old.

Sorry to say I think you were too hasty. Maybe it was relaesing bodily wastes or expelling it's zooxantalle, but it may have been ok/salvageable.

WHOA!!! way too soon..they deflate all the time , you know its dead if it expells its insides, which look like a bunch of whitish coils and mouth gaping wide open........:( RIP RBTA

it does make me sick to think I might have pulled him out of there too soon, but he really did look bad - unlike any pictures I've seen on this forum that depicted a sick BTA.

There were no white stringy things coming out but his whole insides were exposed - he was just a small fleshy donut.

if an anemone is truely dead, it would not have a footing (just free floating) and would smell HORRIBLE!!!!!! (Smells like a 50year old septic tank, or a dry dock in july if you ever had to scrap barnicles off of a sailboat) I think you anemone was under stress and expelling zooxantalle. Sometimes if the mouth is open, its not getting enough waterflow or that it was just regulating the water within it's tissue. The stress of shipping causes this and the anemone recovers in a few weeks. I think you might have been too hasty and I have heard/read the "anemone expelling toxins" idea was a myth (anyone who knows for certain please correct me) The only toxins that are "realeased" is ammonia when it is truely dead. quarantine tank are always useful, if only to make sure that something is really dead with no risk to your main tank. When I get a new anemone, I always post it on the forums to get outside opinions and it has been really useful.

Im sorry about your anemone, don't feel too bad, anemone death happens to all of us. I hope the Ocellaris are not depressed about the loss. Goodluck to you in the future!

Sorry to say ...you acted too soon.... Those things do that often. I'd say yours was expelling it's zooxantalle.

My Sebae does that every 3rd night/day or so due to the 250w HQI light it's getting used to and the feedings i'm giving it.

It came from a LFS that had it under a NO light strip that was basically starving the poor thing.

Don't act so quick next time.

I did the same thing with my first anemone. I don't think mine would have survived anyway, but I know how you feel.

!!! I did the same thing with my first one!! I just got my second one a few days ago. took me a month of looking at different ones and researching them more. I was scared!! Now my new one stresses me daily!! 15 minutes ago t just went thru expelling some waste and the whole time I sat in front of my tank worrying.. Its fine now.... man did it look terrible!

My GBTA does that once a week sometimes. But right now hes not excepting any food. But with my dismay another BTA came with a piece of xenia i got...

Back