Let the Cipro begin…

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Yep so everyone knows that nice blue gig I recently got. Well it’s not doing to hot.

Shortly after being added to the tank, it began to deflate just before lights out and would re-inflate after lights out.

Well about a week ago it started acting wierd. Almost like it wasn’t strong enough to lift its oral disk out of the sand so half of its disc was tentacle down. Then it also began deflating during the day but re-inflating at night (I’m thinking I may have light shocked him switching from the 2x 150w halides to 2x 250w halides)

Yesterday I noticed it started to climb the rocks but never really inflated at all and today the mouth started to gape significantly. So I was able to remove him from the rock (oddly very easily so that’s an additional clue he wasn’t doing well) and where he kept putting his oral disk face down in the sand was all slimy (but the oral disk itself seemed okay).

I haven’t tested params yet but given he looks pitiful, I started Cipro treatment tonight. The only thing is I was out of 10 gallon tanks so I used a 5.5 gallon…hopefully that doesn’t overtly affect the Cipro treatment.

I’m kind of curious if he wasn’t getting enough flow resulting in the oral disk in the sand issue which then led to the deflation issue.

Something even more odd, is while not hosting in it, my clown seems more interested now that it’s deflating. Im thinking it’s likely expelling something (though I haven’t seen much of anything) and the clown is eating it). Anyways, just chronicling here.

Here he is pre-Cipro treatment

IMG_9701.jpeg

Ugh. Good luck with the treatment.

I must have missed the original thread, but did you pick this up from another hobbyist, LFS, or online?

Oh man. Yeah. That's a great pickup. I've had mine for a good 7 or 8 years now. Maybe longer, I lose track any more. It even survived being torn in a rock slide. The smaller one that resulted from being torn didn't survive a system crash but the bigger one did.
1000003671.jpg

I’m definitely hoping I just didn’t wait too long. Tomorrow I’ll be running a full test of tank params and likely a 10-20% water change in the main display. Then turning my doser back on depending on levels and go from there.

I am inexperienced with the whole anenome cipro thing but I did it for the first time at the end of August in a 2.5 gallon tank and the anenome wasn't dead after so I am thinking 5 will be just fine! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery...

Unfortunately I believe I was too late. Looks like it expelled a bunch of brown slime but also appears to be deteriorating. It’s on day two of Cipro but I’m not holding out hopes

Unfortunately I believe I was too late. Looks like it expelled a bunch of brown slime but also appears to be deteriorating. It’s on day two of Cipro but I’m not holding out hopes
Oh nooo. They say it will expel stuff though. I know mine did day 1... is it responsive to touch?

It was sensitive to touch last night. Tonight it’s pretty much a mush pile. Not attached to the cup it’s in, not sticky, completely gaping mouth all day and almost turned inside out. I’m disappointed but it’ll be the last time I buy a $300 anemone. I took a chance and it failed. Next step is a mag once I redo my scape. Not sure if I’ll do proactive treatment on that or just risk it and see what happens again.

It was sensitive to touch last night. Tonight it’s pretty much a mush pile. Not attached to the cup it’s in, not sticky, completely gaping mouth all day and almost turned inside out. I’m disappointed but it’ll be the last time I buy a $300 anemone. I took a chance and it failed. Next step is a mag once I redo my scape. Not sure if I’ll do proactive treatment on that or just risk it and see what happens again.
Maybe try some lugol's as a last ditch effort :(

It didn’t make it. Removed it today. No stickiness. No footing. Bunch of brown slime covering it even with the powerhead and stunk to high heaven (many should be able to relate to that). Expensive lesson learned. On to doing other things.

Back