Too Hot???

my tank has been 84 and im not happy its been 105 plus here in northern ca today 107 and its not cooling down at night much.

im at work so i cant help much its only been bad for 2 days. yesterday i only lit MH for 1 hour and that kept it from going over 84. today same thing atinic only [call it a cloudy day in my tank] i havnt needed a chiller in 10 years and im not ready to buy one.

i have a big swamp cooler aimed at my tank im keeping my fingers crossed for cooler weather for us all

Im with ya outy :) Here in culver city ca (southern ca) its about 90' with a HUGE humidity of 55%...Like you im keeping my fingers crossed that all my hard work with ice bags and the fan will keep my fish alive! my corals seem to handling it ok, and the fish seem ok, they are still active and eating :) Good luck with your situation :D

my poor ice maker was not making ice fast enough and I just came home with a HUGE ice bag, my temp is at 84 :eek1: I just added another 2 huge ziplock bags......as to runiing antics? im sure someone will chime in :)

yes, im putting ice in 2 ziplock bags each as not not add misery to my water and have my lights on now, but only running them for 8-9 hours, plus im using a clip on fan over the open back part of my tank blowing across the water..I double bag the ice..just in case of leaks..Good luck...:) it has been working a little, but I cant get the temp below 82, and thats after a days work of ice/fans, ect.

Heather :)

lights off?

what choice do i have, id rather simulate a cloudy couple days then increase temps by 2 degrees. when i get home ill turn on the MH,s for an hour :(

Sorry outy :( but you could be right? it is "cloudy" over the ocean sometimes and lets all hope with all are hard work we can all overcome the darn heatwave! :)

:) im bumping this to see if anyone else has had past experience on this and would like to share other ideas on what has worked for them :)

Do you have a conopy? If so, open it and run the fans. How long do you leave your lights on? 10 - 12 hrs? Bring them down between 8 - 10 hrs. Also, how many powerheads/submersable pumps do you have in your tank? Check there wattage if you have a lot of wattage in your tank it doesn't help...

I'm in Vegas man... The temps reached 117s so far. I opened my canopy and the stand and let the air circulate. It brought my temp down about 4 degrees.

Is your tank al enclosed?

no canopy here, and I am running the fan across the water and adding large ice bags. ive got 2 power heads and have turned off the heater. I am getting a lot of evaporation now and have got my tank stabalized at 81'....boy I feel for you in vegas! gotta be pretty hard to keep temp down there. :)

btw i have the back part open and the front is also open. I wonder if turning off 1 of my powerheads could help? I am only lighting the tank for 8 hours a day.

Surprisingly not... This is my first summer with the tank and haven't had any problems since I added the fan. Before the fan it creeped up to 84 degrees. Ofcourse I freeked did the same things you'd been doing (without the corn... lol), and after I placed the fan on, it droped back down. However, I kinda planed for this being in vegas, so I put tank under two air conditioning vents since we keep our house between 75 and 78 degrees during the summer, so I think that helps. However, I'm feeling it on my $300 plus electric bills.

hey that corn worked :lol: I am glad that we are all doing what we can to keep our babes alive..im just hoping that all my hard work will pay off and we can all get throught this heatwave :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7793754#post7793754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JohnyBravo
Surprisingly not... This is my first summer with the tank and haven't had any problems since I added the fan. Before the fan it creeped up to 84 degrees. Ofcourse I freeked did the same things you'd been doing (without the corn... lol), and after I placed the fan on, it droped back down. However, I kinda planed for this being in vegas, so I put tank under two air conditioning vents since we keep our house between 75 and 78 degrees during the summer, so I think that helps. However, I'm feeling it on my $300 plus electric bills.

$300.00 a month? YIKES:eek1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7793773#post7793773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chocolates mom
So outy are you lights out all day?

Ditto...can you keep the lights off all day? like a hiccup and miss a day of lighting?

Back