too many snails?

snail sewage

snail sewage

I have 10 assorted snails in my 29gal. I'm worried that they will starve to death if I don't remove a few. Once they got the algae under control, it hasn't come back.

10 snails left ungodly amounts of crap behind. Be prepared.

depends what kind, if they were turbos, they would all starve. If a lot were ceriths and nassaarius(sp?) and you grew a lot of algea, you might be OK

No way would 30 turbo's work out, 10 wouldnt even be a good idea. If you want Turbo's I would only do 2 with your tank. They get very big, they are clumsy and can knock over rockwork, corals very easily.
For glass and rock cleaners I like Astrea snails, they arent clumsy, dont get huge like the turbos, and do a gret job at cleaning.

Astreas are my favorite all around so far. The Ceriths are cool too and are slower at cleaning but are smaller and seem to get the tight spots.

I started with 10 astrea and 3 turbos in my 55, they nocked out the bloom in 2-3 days.

I waited for the second bloom before I added the 10 ceriths. I also added 10 nassarius.

Since then I have added aone abalone, and one orange/black snail (name?), but I also have found around 5+ hitchiker snails (stomatella, collinista?) that have made me wary of adding more ATM.

~25-30 mixed algae grazers have been perfect on my tank buring some major blooms...

I can't see ever reaching the 1 per gallon mark. Maybe if it was just ceriths, but astrea and turbos are way too hungry for that IMO...

Back