Torch coral and flow!

I recently purchased a torch coral about two weeks ago and a ecotech mp10 two days ago. I have my setting on the pump turned down super low and whatever I do my torch seems to hate and he closes up any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

You could either try slowly ramping up the flow to see if it adjusts or find a spot in your tank that mimics the flow in the tank it came from.
The torch I got from my lfs was whipping around pretty good (opposite end of a tank with a gyre) and I have it now ~7 inches below and ~5 inches in front of a mp10 set to reefcrest @100% and it's happy as a clam.

I'll try to slowly ramping up my speed. The flow at my LFS was set on short pulse at about 70% and ever since I've brought it home he's liked only the super low flow.

I'd definitely start slow, maybe use some rock to block flow a little, it took a few weeks of very low flow then slowly add more for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I moved him down to the sand and turned the flow all the way down and it seems to be opening up. It's amazing how powerful these vortech pumps are

The short pulse would have given it a rocking/wave motion, which may explain why it doesn't like a lot of flow/circulation.
I don't know if I can mention who and the site but a certain person wrote a really good article on flow in the reef tank that will explain the difference.
Good luck with it. I was never a euphyllia fan until I added the torch. I've since added a frog spawn that, coincidentally, is in a lower flow area of my tank.

Last edited:
The short pulse would have given it a rocking/wave motion, which may explain why it doesn't like a lot of flow/circulation.
I don't know if I can mention who and the site but a certain person wrote a really good article on flow in the reef tank that will explain the difference.
Good luck with it. I was never a euphyllia fan until I added the torch. I've since added a frog spawn that, coincidentally, is in a lower flow area of my tank.

Hmmm, I would really like to read this information.

I have an mp10 and had a torch coral but the torch slowly melted away. Not sure why but maybe to much flow? It did touch my hammer coral and got stuck on it. Had to separate them but after that it never recovered. I thought they could touch but apparently not

Back