Trace Elements or other with TBS?

Trackz

Premium Member
Does anyone recommend adding trace elements or other chems to the water for an aquarium that would be based on the TBS package? Would it help anything?

I add buffer to bring the water up to desired alkalinity level.

I personally don't believe in adding Sr, Mg, I, etc. supplements. I believe in water changes to replenish depleted trace elements. I do test for Ca, but again, most likely, water changes will keep your Ca levels in the good range.

oh...right.

I forgot to mention I'm using a RO/DI filter. There aren't any trace elements coming from it, so if I want it I gotta add (unless it comes in the salt). So back to my question, which specific ones would be required for the live rock.

Actually, the trace elements don't come from the water itself, they usually come from the salt mix you use, which is why we use Instand Ocean or Red Sea or Brand-X as opposed to putting in table salt. :)

Cheers!

Andy :wildone:

I'm with Hy on this one. IMO unless you're doing something out of the ordinary (mangroves, for instance, can deplete magnesium), regular water changes should keep your trace elements in balance. If you must add supplements I would strongly suggest following the ideology of not adding anything you don't test for. In other words, if you don't have a test showing you you are low in a certain element, don't add any...
Paul

Back