Trade Corals for some MS IT Support

o2manyfish

o2manyfish
Hey Guys,

Working on upgrading a MS Virtual Server box and having some issues. Need a little tech support. Willing to pay in corals. Nothing on Site, just need some help working through the steps.

Thanks,

Dave B

I have a MS Server 2012 Box Running Hyper-V with at the moment one instance of Server 2010 with Exchange 2010.

This was built as a test box, but once I got it up and running I just walked away. But it's on a single drive.

I have to put in a Raid, and then start running multiple virtual machines so I can unplug a few physical boxes.

The Virtual Server has 2 drives in it with a total of 100gb of space. The server and exchange database are using about 70gb of space.

So I exported the Virtual Server, so that I can import it into the new server running on the Raid.

The export exported 2 VHD files 30gig and 35 gig and then 10 avhd files totalling 280gb. And then exported these 12 files in two different locations (the location I directed it to and the root of the drive I directed it to).

So the question is... Why do I have so many files and so much data?

And which files do I have to import once the new server is running.

And then also my overall plan...
Install the Raid Drives
Install a clean copy of Server 2012 r2
Install Hyper - V
Import Exchange VM
Create a new VM of Server 2012 and install Exchange 2013
Migrate to new server

Then find a reliable back up solution to create a usable backup onto a new Synology 414 NAS.

Dave B

Why not just set the RAID up in the new server, remove the original drive from the first server, install it into the new server and clone it to the raid partition. The OS and the application/data will all be transferred seamlessly. If you want me to help you with the cloning, you could bring your servers to my office and I will have my guys clone it here for you no charge. Send me PM.

My guess is that the reason your backups/exports are so large with so many files is that they are probably snap shots in addition to the databases. If the data bases link to various files, you will get not only application data but databases, content and configuration data.

Just put those bad boys in the cloud and don't worry about the hardware/backups being local....but $$

Fix

Fix

When your copying it over your basically creating multiple copies of it. You first need to disable it from doing so and then you should be able to do it correctly. Here are some step by step instructions.

How to Prevent The issue:

On the Vm machine under settings \ Management \ Intergration Services there is a addon called Backup (Volume snapshots). This addon causes the .avhd's to be created.

How to Fix the issue
http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-manually-merge-hyper-v-snapshots.html

Benibarra,

That was a good link... Thank you.

Turns out when I imported the old Virtual machine onto the new server box, it took over an hour to import all 280gb, and then Hyper -V Spent hours "Merging"

But in the end all the files were still there.

At this point I have the Old Virtual machine running on the new RAID box. So I am functional.

Now I am going to migrate that to a clean version of Exchange 2013, and I have shut off the BackUp Volume Snapshots (Thanks to Benibarra)

So moving forward, what is the best way to back up the virtual machines nightly? Do I have Hyper-V create a backup volume? Do I use Windows Server BackUp to the NAS? or is there a better more reliable solution?

Thanks for the help guys.

Slief and Benibarra, come on by for some frags :)

Dave B

BeniBarra,

Thanks for the tip on Acronis. I have used the Acronis personal products and they work well. That option is a little pricey for my single server application.

But your rain check is good with me for when your tank is ready for corals.

I am just recovering from a tank crash in the fall, and I am just finally starting to collect corals for my outdoor frag system. So there are always more bits and pieces coming in so I am happy to help out when you are ready.

I also have plenty of Pod Filled Chaeto if you are doing a refugium, or just want to jump start your pod population.

And I have some xenia ready to go for a starter coral.

When you get more established I will have some for you then as well.

Thanks for the support.

Dave

Rik,

Absolutely!!! Just let me know when you are in the area, you can pick up from home or work.

Dave

PS Anyone else need Chaeto just ask. 1 Sandwich bag is free. If you post somewhere giving Chefzilla a hard time about not putting water in his tank yet I will throw in a second sandwich bag of chaeto and maybe a monti frag :)

Rik,

Absolutely!!! Just let me know when you are in the area, you can pick up from home or work.

Dave

PS Anyone else need Chaeto just ask. 1 Sandwich bag is free. If you post somewhere giving Chefzilla a hard time about not putting water in his tank yet I will throw in a second sandwich bag of chaeto and maybe a monti frag :)

LMAO!!!!!! but my rooms soo quiet :) i went with a light holder rather than hanging the ati from the ceiling.... and have to wait for my dad to weld it. I have 30' of 1" square tubing that needs to be cut and welded before water gets in the tank :-(

Brent, You are just antagonizing me more.

You don't need light on your tank to start cycling rock ! No get that water bottle out of the tank.... Unless your doing a themed styled tank like "TANKED" and your theme is going to be a recycling reef and you just fill the tank with empty plastic bottles. then you put in the water and that night I go an get you 56 different tangs and 13 large angels and we dump them all in at the same time.

Dave B

Brent, You are just antagonizing me more.

You don't need light on your tank to start cycling rock ! No get that water bottle out of the tank.... Unless your doing a themed styled tank like "TANKED" and your theme is going to be a recycling reef and you just fill the tank with empty plastic bottles. then you put in the water and that night I go an get you 56 different tangs and 13 large angels and we dump them all in at the same time.

Dave B

Actually the tank needs to be pulled out so i can bolt in the light rack. After that im going for it. The rack "should" be built this sunday, painted and installed hopefully monday. From there water will be added ( I will be making 150 gallons of water this weekend) and LOL. ill take you up on you picking me up at least 1 tang ;-)

Back