Treating thoughts

triggreef

Trying to keep this short. Currently treating 2 tanks that got ich. From not using a QT. Recently acquired a 90g to use for a QT from now on.

Fish list: dog face puffer, 2 maroom clowns, falco hawkfish, flame angel, cleaner wrasse, juvi purple wrasse. Using TTM with 32g trash cans. Tomorrow will be the 3rd transfer. All these fish started the same day. My plan is to do transfers til my QT cycles, then move everything in there until my displays have been vacant for 10 weeks.

Today I caught the last fish out of my 125g. A juvi red coris wrasse. This one took time to catch because I had to use a trap to get him. My dilemma is this... He shows no sign of ich even though he was with the dogface that 100% had ich. No spots, no scratching. He does have 2 white small not ich like spots on his tail, like the spines part of his tail swelled sort of. Not very noticeable, I think most people would not even see it.

I dont want to mix him in with the other fish being treated as the flame angel & clowns & hawkfish would probly kill him anyway. Hawk is very mean. Plus I woot want to reintroduce anything to these fish a 3rd through their treatment.

So, for now, I put the red coris into a 20g, which is cycled but was only housing some shrimp crabs & snails. My thought is to watch him in there & possibly treat with copper (obviously removing inverts first). If no signs on him after 10 weeks fallow on the other tanks, will he b safe to put back? Thoughts?

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the wrasse will be QT'd separately from all the other fish and treated with copper. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Yes. But if there is no signs of ich, should I still treat with copper? I would think after 10 weeks of QT I would have to see signs of ich if it had it? And I think I read that wrasses are a little bit sensitive to copper? Which is why I'm a little bit, shying away from it.

Yes. But if there is no signs of ich, should I still treat with copper? I would think after 10 weeks of QT I would have to see signs of ich if it had it? And I think I read that wrasses are a little bit sensitive to copper? Which is why I'm a little bit, shying away from it.

If he was in a tank with fish that showed signs of Ich, you have to just assume he is infected as well. Wrasses have thick mucus coats, so they oftentimes don't seem to get Ich on their skin. But Ich can also invade the gills, so you might not even be seeing it.

I recently QT'd two wrasses for 4 weeks using Coppersafe - considered harsher than Cupramine. No problems, no loss of appetite. I think you'll be fine treating a Red Coris; just put some sand in a glass pyrex bowl in there for him.

^^^^^Good advice^^^^^^
Al;ways assume any fish exposed to ich has it. Seeing or not seeing white spots is no real indicator of ich.

I guess I have some snails and crabs to go hunting for then. I also figured since my other tanks need to go fallow for 10 weeks, what a perfect time to add some inverts to those tanks. So my fallow period doesn't start until my reefs2go order comes on thursday anyway. :)

All fish, irrespective of outward appearance, must be the target of treatment to eradicate ich.

Back