Treatment of montipora eating nudibranchs in QT

Ghost25

I have nudis eating my montiporas. I have tried Bayer (stopped after I lost a shrimp) as well as CoralRX. CoralRX seems to kill the adult nudis but even after 6 days of dipping every day they still come back. Presumably they have sleeper cells hanging out on the rocks or sand or the eggs survive and they manage to reproduce in <24hrs.

Either way I'm fed up. I have a sponge filter and I bought some potassium permanganate which supposedly kills the eggs. My plan is to dip the montis in the KMnO4 then put them in the QT for a month or two and let the ones remaining in the tank starve. However, I was thinking it might be good to treat the QT to make sure that the nudibranchs don't survive in the QT.

Any advice on how best to do this? I have Bayer, CoralRX, PraziPro, chloroquine, methylene blue, and Maracyn two.

Where did you buyed potasium permanganate?Where i live its illegal.Its higly explosive when its mixed with oils so take care with it.It is known its the only way to kill the nudibranchs and theyr egss.Coral rx ,parazipro and otther only kill the nudis not theyr aggs and is good you got the potasium permanganate.You dont necesarely need anQuarantine tank but its better if you have one.Dip the corals and the rocks in the cloose proximity of the corals then put them into the aquarium.I wouldnt treat the aquarium or the quarantine tank directly with KMNO4 ,just dip them following retepies on the internet.Montipora nudibranch are the worse pest you can encounter in this hobby.

It is readily available on ebay, amazon, and multiple online stores. You can get a two ounce bottle for like $6.

It is readily available on ebay, amazon, and multiple online stores. You can get a two ounce bottle for like $6.

Yea but thats allready mixed with water and its verry diluted.The cristals thogh should be illegal.I had a hard time in buying this substance thogh i buyed KMNO4 crystals.There is a product made by Kent that contains KMNO4 and is called Poly-ox.It is or it was made from KMNO4 and was intended to use it as a oxidiser to get rid of detritus in the same manner ozone is used to make clear water.But it is also good to kill nudibranchs.

I don't know if there are restrictions in Romania, but I was able to get the pure crystals of potassium permanganate online from ebay along with a sensitive scale that reads to milligrams. I added ~1g / 5 gallons of water. Dipped ALL my montipora for 2 hours in this solution. It killed all the nudis as well as the eggs, but was a harsh dip. I lost about 20% of my frags. However, it did work.

Its illegal here because its verry reactive and can trigger explosions and is also used in the proces to make methamphetamine drugs(cristal meth).

Yea but thats allready mixed with water and its verry diluted.The cristals thogh should be illegal.I had a hard time in buying this substance thogh i buyed KMNO4 crystals.There is a product made by Kent that contains KMNO4 and is called Poly-ox.It is or it was made from KMNO4 and was intended to use it as a oxidiser to get rid of detritus in the same manner ozone is used to make clear water.But it is also good to kill nudibranchs.

In the US we can buy KMnO4 and many other chemicals without restrictions. It is a strong oxidizer but it has a 0 in reactivity from NFPA.

So KMnO4 dip alone should be sufficient? No need to medicate the QT to prevent the nudis from coming back?

fcdd9a86178fc7eafa1bc4a224b45b7d.jpg

$6 for two of these in crystal form. 98.3% pure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They survived the dip, I gave up after weeks of fighting. If I were to do it over and I QT immediately I think I could have saved them. But at this point the corals were too stressed and eaten up to be worth saving.

Thanks anyway.

Back