Triangular Glass?

SquidBreath

Hello all!
I am getting back into reefing after a seven year absence and am planning a new build...
The tank needs to be a corner tank...being built to match another, non-aquatic display, on the opposite side of the room.

So what I am looking at is a triangular tank. Current dimensions...65" along the back walls....front panel 92" long.

24" deep...so I would go with 3/8" thick for that?

The biggest problem, obviously, will be the corners. Would have to be mitred to give the glass an adequate surface to seal together right?
Has anyone built a tank with angled joints before? Acrylic not an option...gotta be glass...preferably starfire...in the front.

Any glass-savvy folks out there...would love to hear your opinions/advice

Thanks!
Dave

Ah

Ah

Hey Waddleboy, thanks for the reply!
I thought 24" deep 3/8 was what I saw on commercial tanks..
My memory might be failing me though...
What would you recommend? Go up to 1/2?

Thanks!
Dave

Corner mitres would make the glass very weak as it would crack very easily at the mitre wherever it was stressed.
That's why you would need much thicker glass. And thick glass isnt fun to look through.

This tank will require 19mm (3/4") glass to have a chance of holding together, and a 25mm (1") bottom panel. 15mm (5/8") glass if it has full euro bracing. 12mm (1/2") would bet a bit more risky, considering the length of the front panel. (Based on rectangular tank calculations--the pressures will be the same.) I have never built a tank with mitered corners or a triangular tank, and I would not try it--too much liability risk for me.

I strongly urge you to have this professionally built, or considerably down grade your ambition. This is not a tank size for someone that has never built a tank, nor is it really a home build project. The large front panel will weigh 155lbs.

You seem dead set against acrylic, but if ever a tank idea called for acrylic, this is it.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Hey guys....thanks for the great replies here!
I am re-thinking this project a bit...
Firstly on the scale...

Cutting the size down a lot now, 48x48x67 and 24 deep...would make about 120 gallons...much more reasonable than 220, and would still fit my design plans for the room.

Thanks for reality-checking me, guys...

I am certainly open to having this built by a pro. Does anyone know a method to secure these angled corners without using a mitre cut on the edges?

Acrylic...sigh...

I had acrylic before...it looks sooooo beautiful...until that first scratch...and then it's all I can see. Never had any luck with scratch-removal...was really hoping for that beautiful low-iron front panel.

Would really like glass...but if it's a choice of glass, or triangluar, I need to stick with triangular.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Dave

Back