Trichome's 118g NPS Project

awsome aquascaping!:thumbsup:

i love to see how it develops

greetings carlo (the netherlands)

Attachments

• DSC_0708.jpg
    DSC_0708.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1
I finally got the sand into the tank. It covers up the bottom base rock all the way. It took 90lbs of sand to get about 3.5 inches.
PA180002.jpg

Here are some more pictures i finally uploaded:

PC120027.jpg

PC120028.jpg

PC120029.jpg

Florida cup coral.
PC120030.jpg

Thank you Tim (Aquavistat99) for the Florida cup coral. Florida cup coral is illegal to sell but it is allowed to be sold if its a hitchhiker on aqua-cultured Florida live rock.

I guess i kind of dropped the ball on this build thread. Well here is a long overdue update:

Here are some new pictures i just took:
P8030070.jpg

P8030075.jpg

P8030076.jpg

P8030078.jpg

P8030079.jpg

P8030080.jpg

P8030082.jpg

P8030087.jpg

P8030097.jpg

P8030092.jpg

your tank is coming along wonderfully!

Thanks. I currently only have the large polyp type NPS coral that accepts larger particles of meaty foods. I kept them on the top so i can spot feed them better. I have a Avanti refrigerator and a couple dosing pumps i just need another EB8 and a magnetic stir and i will be all set for small polyp NPS coral and filter feeding inverts.

I finally got all the equipment i needed to make my automated feeder system for my 118g non-photosynthetic system thanks to the PA 11% off sale.

P1010070.jpg

In this picture you can see the cords from two Hanna magnetic stirrer on the bottom and two cords on top from the dosing pumps and the 1/4 feed tubing. I had to drill holes from the inside of the refrigerator out the size of the wire. I had to cut each wire in half so i could fit the wire though the holes i drilled and then wire them back together. That part took the longest out of the whole project.

P1010071.jpg

Here is a picture of the refrigerator in my closet.

P1010071.jpg

This is the top half the refrigerator. You can see the two dosing pumps and the top half of the 1000ml beakers i use. I used industrial Velcro to hold the dosers in place and i have room to add two more units.

P1010073-1.jpg

Here is the bottom half of the refrigerator. You can see the Hanna magnetic stirrers. The beaker on the left has a mixture of frozen cyclopeeze, rotifers and whatever else i have on hand. I currently do not use the second magnetic stirrer for the water.

HOW IT WORKS
I have everything plugged into my Apex controller. Currently i am feeding the tank three times a day. When its feeding time I have my return pump set to turn off and the magnetic stirrer to turn on. Two minutes later the first dosing pump turns on and pumps about 150ml of food into the tank in 3 minutes. Right after that the second feed pump turns on and flushes the food out of the line. This is done for two reasons. The main reason is to keep the food in the tubing but not in the refrigerator from going bad and the second bonus byproduct is it will hopefully keep the food buildup in the 1/4 tubing to a minimum. I give the coral 30 minutes to catch as much food as it can and then the return pump turns back on.

I am now ready and able to keep even the most difficult of non-photosynthetic coral.

Project is coming out great! Good job :) If you have a chance, unless I missed it, could you post up a picture of the pump part.

Mike

Project is coming out great! Good job :) If you have a chance, unless I missed it, could you post up a picture of the pump part.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It is starting to come together pretty nice. I can't wait to get some sea fans. Here is the picture i tried to post:
P1010072-1.jpg

Simply an amazing setup, Trichome!!! Very nice selection of non-photosynthetic corals!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks aquavista99. That nice red dendro i got from you is one of my favorite right now. Its growing so fast and its a unique color from what i can find.

excellent! love the idea of flushing out the lines with water, I remember you telling me about that.

ready for some fauna marin foods? :)

excellent! love the idea of flushing out the lines with water, I remember you telling me about that.

ready for some fauna marin foods? :)

I should be ready for some i hope by the end of the year, unless you need it gone sooner. I will get in touch with you. Thank you for hooking me up with your frozen food and your Hanna stirrers.

Since i got my automatic feeder system i have been itching to get a sea fan. Tonight i pulled the trigger on a:
SeaFan.png

West African Red Polyp Pink Sea Fan (Echinogorgia sp.)
Bristletail.jpg

I got this little Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). It should find plenty of food in my system.

Wow i have not updated this tank thread in a long time. I have been fighting aptaisa for a long time now. Over the winter i let my tank water get down to 68 degrees. I started seeing positive effects soon after. The coral in my tank that seemed to be receding started to grow again and i am pretty sure the reproductive rate of the aptaisa slowed down. This allowed for my copperband butterfly fish to put a huge dent in the aptaisa. I will try to get photos posted here soon.

Back