Trying to figure this out is making me nuts!

Definitely not in the rear chambers, I turned return pump off and checked everywhere back there. At this point I'm guessing it was the mushroom that did it. The strangest thing is my cleaner shrimp walks all over that shroom with no issues.

James, no dog.

Mike, aliens were not in town last night.

Swhoobie1, I know what your saying but I don't think 4 Scarlett, 3 blues, and 5 turbos(all small) could do it in 5 hours without leaving a trace. Plus due to flow the hermits have a hard time getting around on the bottom without and sand.

C4DC; no false floor all rear chambers were modded.

Well sorry to hear the bad news...... I hope he pops up alive ..

I lost a clown to a hairy mushroom. I happened to notice he was gone and the mushroom closed up. I pushed my finger thru and pryed the mushroom open and released an obviously dazed lathargic fish. He recovered but then about 3 weeks later I was too late to save the fish.
I have two clans now that host a pack of hairy mushrooms. I noticed that small fish could be caught. But as they grow larger they are strong enough to push thier way out if the mushroom decides to try and eat.
No idea if yours met the same fate but I can attest to the fact this could happpen.

Have you checked in the plumbing. Maybe he got into the skimmer and got stuck in the drain pipe? I have lost a couple fish in my rimless tank as well. And two of them i never found, so I feel your pain. I came home one day and found my puffer in the dump. I have no idea how he got ther. He would've been too large to make it past my half closed gate valve on the drain into the sump too.

Fish can sometimes flop a surprising distance away from the aquarium. It might have been your mushroom, but most likely it jumped and you just didn't find it on the floor before your cats.

Mostly dry with a few really small live pieces. Still no definite answer to the mystery. Doubt I will never know what really happened.

Back