Tube worm, feather duster or (please, no) APTASIA???

lov'ncrabs

I found this creature hitchhiking in hair algae on my tuxedo urchin. I've had aptasia before in a previous aquarium but haven't seen any in a decade. This doesn't resemble what I had before. I recall aptasia as upright, and appearing to be of a consistent material. This creature lies on it's side and appears as a tube with "feelers". Guys?
20230109_183828.jpg
20230109_183853.jpg
20230109_183954.jpg

In the third photo I had touched it with tweezers to see if it retracted - it did. The spines in the background of the photo are the tuxedo urchin hosting the hair algae it's hitchhiking on

It's up to you if you want to move it. It may eventually be overtaken by the algae and inadvertently be removed, so maybe drop it in a hole in a rock? It will extend its tube to find a "happy" place. By the pictures, it looks like there may be several of them in that clump of algae.

Agreeing with the above, looks like a small feather duster. In my experience, those never get much bigger than about what you see there. I’ve never transplanted the small ones like that but I would agree just find a small hole.

If it hates where you put it, it may eject itself and start over... they are delicate.. so let it find its own home.

Since it's not attached to anything, the urchin will eventually just find it and pick it up again. I've given up trying to keep loose things off my urchins.

Back