Tunze 5017 Malfunction

benwehmann

I have had my 5017 controller setup for a couple of years now and all of a sudden I started having an issue with it. What happens is when I plug it in all the lights turn on for a second then just the level light stays on for a few more seconds then everything turns off. If I leave it plugged in for a bit longer all the lights start flashing and the buzzer goes off. I tried unplugging the pump because I read that a bad pump can cause issues but that did not change anything. To be honest there is a chance that some water splashed on it from my algae scrubber when a snail made its way in!

I figured I would try to see if there is a way to repair it before I buy a new one.

Look directly at the controller with no viewing angle to avoid seeing the lights through neighboring windows, the light pattern will be a diagnostic code. It sounds like the water damage indicator which is too high and too low red lights flashing with a continuous beep, beep, beep. The green level light can be on as well if the optic sensor is in water or is dirty.

Look directly at the controller with no viewing angle to avoid seeing the lights through neighboring windows, the light pattern will be a diagnostic code. It sounds like the water damage indicator which is too high and too low red lights flashing with a continuous beep, beep, beep. The green level light can be on as well if the optic sensor is in water or is dirty.

You sir are 100% spot on, this is exactly what I am seeing. I thought all the lights were flashing however it is just the too high and too low that are flashing. I assume this water damage means there is no repair and it is time to order a new one?

Thank you for such a fast response, even a few days without my Osmolator makes me realize how amazing it is.

It depends where it is, most water damage is caused by plugging in a wet power supply tip, that I can almost always repair, if it is at the top around major electrical components, I usually cannot repair it. Any chance you could open it and post a photo? Just two screws on the back to remove to open it.

It depends where it is, most water damage is caused by plugging in a wet power supply tip, that I can almost always repair, if it is at the top around major electrical components, I usually cannot repair it. Any chance you could open it and post a photo? Just two screws on the back to remove to open it.

Hi Roger,

Here are a few pictures of the board. It looked to me like the corrosion is up in the upper left corner as well as on the left side near where it says D8. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

If the board truly is done is it possible to just buy a new board rather than replacing everything?

Attachments

• 5017 PCB 1.jpg
    5017 PCB 1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5017 PCB 2.jpg
    5017 PCB 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 5017 PCB 3.jpg
    5017 PCB 3.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4
I don't see anything severe, to me I think it would be worth trying repair. They don't sell board only, the farthest it breaks down is the full controller with sensors, part 5017.000.

I don't see anything severe, to me I think it would be worth trying repair. They don't sell board only, the farthest it breaks down is the full controller with sensors, part 5017.000.

Any tips on trying to repair it myself or should I send it in to Tunze USA for the repair?

The best is to send it in, just include your contact info in the box. I only need part 5017.000, the controller and sensors, include the sensors as if any reprogramming or calibration is needed I will need to have them.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
Back