Tunze 6095 won't start

waverz

Slave to the reef!
I have a 60 gallon cube with ALL Tunze pumps.

For circulation I was a pair of 6095's mounted on the back wall. I noticed today that one pump wasn't operating as it should and thought maybe something was wrong with my Apex programming.

I looked through the programming and couldn't find anything wrong so I decided to run the pumps w/o being teathered to the Apex expecting them both just to run on 100% but the one still wouldn't start.

I've tried switching power supplies and that didn't do it. I checked the dc jack and it's getting 20 volts.

There is a small capacitor inside the box where the aquasurf is plugged into but doesn't look to be swelled. I don't have a meter handy otherwise I would check it. I'm assuming it needs the capacitor to aid in starting.

So it's probably either that, the wiring in between, or the actual driver.

I really want to test the capacitor but don't have my damn meter here.

That cap is basically a voltage cushion, it absorbs dips and peaks in the line in voltage. If it is not burned or damaged it should be OK.

Have you tried running it with no controller?

Have you opened the pump and made sure the propeller is not stuck by sand, lime or a foreign object?

Roger, thanks for the reply. Talked to Craig and sounds like I will need to send the pump in for repair. I'll be putting it in the mail tomorrow.

2 years later and the pump stopped working again. I can get it to start by spinning the impeller but only when it's out of the water.

I tried soaking it in vinegar and cleaned it all up but still no luck.

I guess I'll be sending it in again.

Yes, please send it, if you PM me your name I could look up the last repair, that might be helpful as well.

Back