Tunze 6255 - can I replace the old box with a tunze 7090 controller?

psykobowler

Hi Roger,
I decided to start reefing again and I now find myself with 3 Tunze 6255 that are no longer working. I was an early adapter of the product and my tunze 6255s came with the original tiny box connector with just a potentiometer knob and not the 7090 controller that the new ones come with. Is it possible to replace the old small box with the 7090 controller if I purchase those separately from bulkreefsupply? At times if I wiggle the potentiometer the pumps will briefly start and shut down. I believe there are 5 or so wires connected to the box, wondering if I can splice or sauder them myself. I am pretty handy with electronics. Please advice. I really would like to get these fixed if possible. I appreciate it.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Generally, the connector box cannot be replaced by the 7090, the electronics in the motor are different, there is a very small window from early 2015 right before we switched to the controller where it is possible, but beyond this time, it works, but not very well as there are control voltage differences. I would generally think the cause of this is either the metal shaft the propeller spins on is not rigidly fixed in the motor or the motor itself is dying, typically these pumps have an expected service life of around 7-8 years, that is how long the electronics on a typical DC pump driver board will last, there are exceptions but they require much larger and more robust ceramic capacitors.

Thanks Roger. Do I still have an option of getting these 3 pumps fixed if I send them to you or do I have to dispose of them? I think I paid quite a bit for them and I am willing to pay the cost to get them running again. Please advise.

I am thinking of an alternative. Can these pumps be replaced with the new motor that comes with the latest 6255? I am assuming the housing and the wires are the same. If so, I would like to send these 3 pumps to you and I will purchase the new 7090 controllers for all 4 of my pumps. I am assuming this can be done and might be cheaper that buying 3 new ones for $500 each.

Regards,
Glenn

Last edited:
Replacing the motor is definitely an option and I am happy to have a look at them and see what we can do. Right now the single biggest issue is the supply of DC motors is very limited as the chips and capacitor supply is very limited. It will take a while to get 3 motors for these, but that is an option. The motor is part 6255.100, it includes the controller and is an available spare part.

Replacing the motor is definitely an option and I am happy to have a look at them and see what we can do. Right now the single biggest issue is the supply of DC motors is very limited as the chips and capacitor supply is very limited. It will take a while to get 3 motors for these, but that is an option. The motor is part 6255.100, it includes the controller and is an available spare part.

Roger, I am definitely going to do this. I know we have a shortage on everything and trust me, I will be patient enough to get this done. Please let me know when, how much the cost is and provide me with instructions on how to send them to you. I don't expect to get them done all at once. If you think you can get the pump parts on separate occasion that is totally fine with me. I will be buying additional pumps shortly as I need them in my system so I am in no rush for these. I am assuming that I can still use the 4 dc 24v power supply that came original with the tunze 6255 once the swap is made. I hope they didn't change those as well. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Glenn

Depending on age the power supplies may have changed but the specs and output tip, etc have not so the old power supplies are completely compatible.

I expect 2 6255 motors in early December.

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/details/6255.100-motor-block.html

No worries. I will have the funds to order 2 of them as early as next Friday (November 19th). I am assuming I can order them via the website link that you provided. I'll get in touch with you then. Thanks.

Hi Roger,
I got the motor blocks on Saturday. It shipped quicker than what I expected. Everything worked as planned. Thanks. I will have funds to get the last 6255.100 in 3 weeks. Please let me know when you get a spare one.

Regards,
Glenn

Glenn,

I have 1 more on the way already, not sure when a second will arrive. That one should be here next week.

Hi Roger,
I got the 3rd motor today. Worked as planned. I now have all 4 of my tunze 6255 working in the display tank. For some reason, the last tunze 6255 with the old box still works. I will ride out that pump until it dies and contact you when the time comes. Because you helped me out I am planning on getting more tunze in the near future. Likely 4 of the new stream 3 pumps.

Regards,
Glenn

Back