Tunze 6255 on 12v power supply

DBR_reef

I just bought a tunze 6255. I bought it mainly for the wide flow pattern, but it is way overpowered for my tank (220g), even on a seasweep. I've got it running on maybe 30% power, but would actually like to be able to turn it down. So my questions are:
1) can I run the pump below 30% power? I seem to remember running stream pumps to low might cause damage
2) can I run the pump on a 12v power supply. Most of my other pumps came with jumpers to adjust voltage, this one did not (just 24v).
3) if I can run a 12v power supply, how many amps would it need to be rated for- basically could I use one of my other tunze pump power supplies.
4) if I cant run the pump on 12v, can I still use my batter backup safety connectors, as those are 12v.
Thanks in advance

1)Newer pumps with the built in 7090 can do 20% if connected to a controller that can do so or you use the 7090.
2)Jumpers disappeared when we added the controller, the main reason is they were another failure point, water could enter the power supply at this point.
3)You could use a 12V power supply in theory, but it would need to be capable of a higher amperage than any of the power supplies we offer at that voltage.
4) Yes.

Personally, I would downsize the impeller, a 6105.701 or 6205.701 would reduce the flow and be simpler and more reliable.

1)Newer pumps with the built in 7090 can do 20% if connected to a controller that can do so or you use the 7090.
2)Jumpers disappeared when we added the controller, the main reason is they were another failure point, water could enter the power supply at this point.
3)You could use a 12V power supply in theory, but it would need to be capable of a higher amperage than any of the power supplies we offer at that voltage.
4) Yes.

Personally, I would downsize the impeller, a 6105.701 or 6205.701 would reduce the flow and be simpler and more reliable.

Thank you! I don't have any of the old pumps left, but I guess I never stopped using the old power supplies. I just threw in a 6105.701 impeller from one of the many 6105 pumps I have lying around and now it works perfect. It has a weird very loud, high pitched vibration at around 30% power, but I think I can just avoid that power setting

It could be the 6105.701 drive unit is worn, but it can also be that with the stronger 6255 motor, the prop spins faster and we are hitting a harmonic frequency at a certain speed. With the bigger prop speed is decreased by the resistance.

Back