Tunze Care Magnet any Reviews

How thick is your tank glass or acrylic?

I have 1/2" glass and the Flipper Standard falls off when I swipe too fast. Never had this issue with Algae Free Hammerhead. But Hammerhead will bruise your hand if it snaps on you.

subscribing for results of Tunze Care

I have two of the Tunze strong. Not as easy to go around the corner of my tank as the Hammerhead I replaced, but once I got the hang of it the inside magnet never falls off. I bought the second one because I cant get around the corner to reach the other side of the peninsula. I love this thing. No chance of scratching the glass and with the razor attached its cuts through coraline like butta.

I have the tunze long. I don't really like it. it's not comfortable to work with and it doesn't float. I does some good things but over all I think I will stick to my Algae Free magnet.

any truth to this claim?

"It doesn't distribute the algae within the aquarium as a green dust; it rather roles them up completely, and through this turns the algae film into actual food for the fish."

any truth to this claim?

"It doesn't distribute the algae within the aquarium as a green dust; it rather roles them up completely, and through this turns the algae film into actual food for the fish."

Good sales point but I think you would have to have a lot of build up for this. My tangs don't touch what I scrape off and they eat anything.

I got the Nano and love it. There are parts of my glass that are clean for the first time in a year. :rollface:

any truth to this claim?

It does not just dust the tank like a mag float will when cleaning the glass. It does clump the algae together while its cleaning the glass which I like better than my water being super cloudy for a while. My tang picks at it every once in a while but he also picks at his own poop so there isnt much he wont try to eat.

Overall this thing has its downsides like not being able to float and to switch from panes of glass i just bring it up to the top and remove and reattach to side panes. I guess you can call it a pain for that reason but cleaning all of the algae off of my glass is now finished in one swipe so the time i save in that alone is worth the inconvenience. With the metal blade on this thing really does cut through coraline algae like butter without scratching the glass at all. Its by far the best float i have ever had and have bought one for all 3 of my tanks.

size

size

Can someone with the Tunze Care Strong tell me how thick the dryside handle part is please. It says that the width is 86mm (3.4 in.) but I think that means the total width of both the wet and dry sides. What I want to know is if it will fit behind my tank between the tank and the wall where I have about a 2 inch space....

Cheers!

Can someone with the Tunze Care Strong tell me how thick the dryside handle part is please. It says that the width is 86mm (3.4 in.) but I think that means the total width of both the wet and dry sides. What I want to know is if it will fit behind my tank between the tank and the wall where I have about a 2 inch space....

Cheers!

its about 3/4" thick at each end which is the thickest and about 5/8" through the center.

It should fit in the 2" space behind your tank and the wall, but you will need space to move it?

Also, remember it doesn't float and I find the strength of the magnet could be better for 3/4" glass. It works just fine on thinner glass.

Hope that helps

I have my strong on 3/4" glass. I love it. No sand to scratch as others have said. Put my great white away and bought this. Wish I would have had the choice 2yrs ago

I have my strong on 3/4" glass. I love it. No sand to scratch as others have said. Put my great white away and bought this. Wish I would have had the choice 2yrs ago

Glad to hear it works well for your tank :)
I thought about the great white, but its good to know that your prefer the tunze strong. Ive been using it for over a year and find that it does a great job at cutting through algae and tough coraline without issue. Just a pain when it falls apart when I'm too fast with it when I put it to work:hammer:

its about 3/4" thick at each end which is the thickest and about 5/8" through the center.

It should fit in the 2" space behind your tank and the wall, but you will need space to move it?

Also, remember it doesn't float and I find the strength of the magnet could be better for 3/4" glass. It works just fine on thinner glass.

Hope that helps

Thanks, good to know it will fit back there, wasn't a dealbreaker at all though. I was thinking i woiuld try to zip-tie it to a broomstick or something to do the back...

I am trying to decide on the Flipper or Tunze-and which version- for my new 120 glass tank. Any updated feedback is appreciated!

I haven't used a flipper except when I tried one at Reef A Palooza last year so I probably didn't give it a true comparison, but I love the Tunze that I use on my 120. I have used both the long and the strong and for 1/2" glass I think the strong is a better choice. It's a little hard to move around due to the strong magnet but the strong does a lot better job at getting the tough algae than the long.

FWIW:
After acquiring a nice collection of magnets I finally bit the bullet and got a Mighty Magnet F5. Algae cutter bag being used once a week for coralline or any hard to removed algae, and a regular algae pad the rest of the time. Tank is 8 feet long 3/4 thick acrylic. Cleaning the tank is no longer a chore. Sometimes you get what you pay for and I learned the hard way. Good thing is I used the magnets for projects.

I initially had the Strong version which was far, far too powerful for my 12mm glass, it juddered a lot and was hard to move, especially with the tiny grip!

I then swapped it for a Long version but at the same time bought a Flipper magnet....I haven't used the Tunze magnet since. The flipper is much easier and I think there is less chance of scratching the glass....This is because the magnet is much weaker than the tunze, I've scratched my glass about 6 times with the Tunze because grains get caught on the inside of the blade when "reversing" the magnet. You have to be incredibly careful near the sand edge.

The Flipper glides smoothly over the glass on both the felted side and the blade side. the fact it is floats is brilliant too, the Tunze sinks so damn fast and is a pain to get back on the glass without putting my arm in the tank.

The Flipper is much easier to grip than the tunze.

Being able to quickly flip the Flipper means I can use the felt side for the bulk of the glass then flip to the blade to do the sand line. I normally move the magnet up and down while working my way along the sand edge. I really don't worry half as much about sand getting caught in the blade with the Flipper, its not really strong enough to cause the deep scratches the Tunze does but is plenty strong enough to remove spirorbid worms or stubborn algae...I don't have coralline forming on the glass so cant comment on that yet.

I will say the nano tunze magnet is spot on for smaller tanks or sumps. I use one for my sump and my QT and have no complaints with it.

Back