Tunze MAR 3181

I am redoing my sump and very happy with my new Tunze Skimmer 3415. My refugium has been a mess for the last year with very little growth and all too many Aiptasia. So I bought a 3181 algae reactor which should arrive this week and I will disconnect the fuge. Has anyone tried macros other that Chaeto? I have more grape Caulerpa than Chaeto in my fuge to take from, but I have also had luck with Ulva in the past. What are the possibilities of using one or a mix of these macros in the 3181?

For a while I was culturing Ogo in mine for tang food. Right now, it has turf algae in it as the chaeto died off, I crashed my nutrients and had a dino bloom and while I got nutrients up enough to beat the dino, I have not resumed use of trace elements and while I have some blue hypnea and other attractive macros in the tank, I have not tried more chaeto as my experience is it will crash without iron addition and higher nutrients. As far as nutrient removal, chaeto and cladophora are likely the best bets, but there really aren't any limits as to what you could grow. Red algaes tend to get pale in color in the grow light spectrum lighting but still grow.

Back