Tunze question

iaJim

I want to go to some great pumps in my 58, and I think that means Tunze. Any advice about which pumps and how to control them? Would you control them with AC jr and add on module or with the Tunze controller?

Last edited:
Jim I have a Tunze turbelle stream 6100 for my 75 gallon. It is a bit much for flow, up to 3100 gph but I have i can dial it down to 1000. I'd reccomend a tunze nanostream with the variable speed controller. The vortechs are cool, but I've talked to JJ (DoubleJ) in the past about them and he had a few of them when they just came out and he got rid of them and went back to tunze. Maybe they've ironed out the bugs since when he first got them. He would be a good guy to talk to.

Oh, my other pumps are koralias and they are cheap and work well so far. I dont know if they work with aquacontroller. I know you can buy a controller for them. A few koralia 3s or 4s would be good for your tank if you didnt want to control them.

I have two small seios, a Koralia, and a MJ to hit the area behind the rocks. The only one I'm controlling is the MJ. I have it coming on for 10 minutes and then off for ten minutes. I'm not all that impressed with the Koralia for the space it takes up, and the Seios are OK, but I want to step up a bit. I'm looking to get this little box automated!

no the 20 is smaller than the 40. I like the idea of less space and heat transfer. I think that they have got a lot better in the version 3. Either way I was gonna buy a new unit w/warranty and they sell like hotcakes on e bay and RC if you were un satisfied.

I have a MP20 on my 30 cube and really like it. I still run my 2 modded Tunze 6025's also. I wish i would have gotten the MP40 now though. But i can always upgrade at a later time.

Both the Vortech and Tunze put out alot of power. What kind of coral do you have? SPS, LPS or soft?

I don't think I need to recreate the surf, I just want to have varied water movement so the same pieces aren't always getting hit from the same side. I don't really know much about surfing it. What do you suggest?

I have a mixture of LPS, SPS, and some mushrooms.

I would also say that a few 850 gph pumps might be about right.

In my tank (75gallon), I have a 1 koralia 4 (850gph) on one end and 2 korlia 2s (600 gph) on the other. I think the 4 is too strong and the 2s are a bit too weak. I can feel the flow of the 4 3 feet down from it. The 2s I can feel the flow from about a 1 or 1.5 feet away.

So I'd guess you'd want pumps that output between 850 and 1200 gph. If I didn't have a deep sandbed (7-8 inches) I think two koralia 4s (1200gph) would be good in my tank but If I have my tunze and koralia 4 in the tank it blows the sand around and my jawfish wouldnt come out of his hole because he thought a hurricane was approaching...

So I'd say if you bought two Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Controllable Pump 6055 and connected them to a controller you would get some awesome flow (which you can adjust with the controller) and they will pulse between each other causing a more random flow.

Oh yeah, the lower model of tunze nanostream aren't controllable. Only the 6055.

I looked at a video of the MP40 from Melev's site, and I don't think I would like the noise. SO, I'm leaning toward the Tunze solution. Would the 6055 be OK in a 58 gallon mixed reef with a coarse sand bottom?

Back