Turbelle 4004 Questions

zebrasoma17

Hi Roger. I hope you can answer a few questions for me since none of the local shops stock Tunze products. I have a 200 gal Oceanic RR tank with Euro-bracing along the front and back lips. I would like to add a Turbelle 4002 to each side or a 4002 on one side and a Stream 6100 on the other. My questions:

1. Does the 4002 hang over the top edge of the tank and if so by how much? I built an oak canopy around the top of the tank and there is only a 3/4" gap between the tank and the wood.

2. How much heat does the 4002 generate? Is it OK that close to the wood?

3. In order to use the Interval Power Timer with 2 4002s I need kit 7082/2 (1 7094 and 2 7094.4). What do I need with 1 4002 and 1 Stream 6100? How about 2 4002s and 1 Stream 6100?

4. How would I mount the 4002s to the Oceanic tank- Universal Bracket 0102.410? What about the Stream 6100?

Sorry to bother you with such basic questions but I have been unable to visually inspect these products.

:) Thanks.

Al

Last edited:
Not a bother at all, as far as the heat is concerned this is not an issue, it is similar to the heat coming out of the fan on your home PC. As for mounting, you can simply turn the clamp on its side, it is a steel clamp that can attach to the pump vertically or horizontally. It will clamp on the euro braces (brick bracing as Oceanic refers to it) The water level will need to be about two inches below the brace for proper pump operation. The pump should be allowed 5" of clearance- 6" would be a safer margin just for sake of not being able to see your tank exactly in my mind and not knowing if it has trim or is trimless. The 7082/2 is delivered with two controlled outlets which can each run 2 4002 if you plug a multistrip into them and then two pumps, more pumps will blow the internal fuse. The controller 7094 is the basis of the 7082/2 and two additional 5 pin din ports will allow connection of two 6100's as delivered or with branch adapters 7092.34 up to 4 more pumps. To attach the 6100's you will need some additional hardware- kit 3000.26 provides for a horizontal run under the trim before the vertical run down into the tank.

Roger:

Thanks for answering so quickly.
The tank does have the standard faux oak plastic trim. I would like to place the 4002s on the sides of the tank where there is no euro-bracing just the aquarium glass with the plastic trim at the top.
I'm still unclear in one area. When you said 5-6" of clearance I assume you meant height. My concern is width. Does the 4002 hang over the edge of the plastic trim at the outside top of the tank? If so then by how much?

Thanks again.

Al:)

Last edited:
Ok, the pump can mount to the bracket in a horizontal manner two ways. If you mount it through the first hole in the bracket, the back of the pump will overhang the tank back by about 3/4", if you mount it through the second hole it will be nearly flush. Either way the screw that you tighten on the clamp will stick out from the back by about 1", this will be at about the middle of the trim. The clamp should be propped up about 1/4" over the trim(plastic shims for bathroom cabinets work very well), or the water level run lower, the centrifugal pump portion should only be submerged about an inch, any deeper and salt spray enters the motor and will shorten the time between bearing replacement drastically. Normal bearing life is 3 years a set of bearings runs $18 and it takes about 30min to replace them. Normally I would also suggest replacing the pinion with spring at this time which costs $4.50. If you are uncomfortable with a rebuild, provided the pump is otherwise in good condition I charge $10 plus parts, if bearings are seized or rusted or the armature is bent or shows overheat stress labor goes up to $20. The clamp(like a miniature C clamp from metal or wood working) works fine with Oceanic trim but it takes some playing with it to get it level, the curvature on the trim causes some difficulty, if you position the sets of plastic teeth on the inside trim properly and clamp down hard you can get it perfectly level. Outside of looking kinda goofy it doesn't harm the pumps to be a little crooked.

Back